Water flow across the walls of single muscle capillaries in the frog, Rana pipiens

F. E. Curry, J. Frokjaer-Jensen

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

20 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

1. Individual capillaries of the transilluminated frog muscle cutaneous pectoris were perfused with suspensions of human red cells in frog Ringer solution containing 1 g/dl bovine serum albumin. The modified Landis technique (Michel, Mason, Curry & Tooke, 1974) was used to measure hydraulic conductivities of the capillary wall. Sucrose osmotic reflexion coefficients of the capillary wall was measured in four capillaries when the superfusate contained 100 mM-sucrose. All experiments were made at 22-24 °C. 2. The hydraulic conductivity of arterial capillaries varied from 0.3 to 1.26 x 10-7 cm/(s cmH2O) with a mean of 0.79 x 10-7 cm/(s cmH2O) (six capillaries). The hydraulic conductivities of mid-capillaries varied from 0.43 to 1.86 x 10-7 cm/(s cmH2O) with a mean value of 0.72 x 10-7 cm/(s cmH2O) (six capillaries). 3. The mean reflexion coefficient to sucrose was 0.12 ± 0.05 (S.D.). 4. The measured reflexion coefficients to sucrose conform to the hypothesis that 90% of the transcapillary water flow crosses the capillary wall via the principal hydrophilic pathway. The remaining 10% crosses via an exclusive water pathway. The distribution of water flow is similar to that previously described in frog mesenteric capillaries. 5. The mean value of the hydraulic conductivity of frog muscle capillaries is about one-seventh the mean value of the hydraulic conductivity of frog mesenteric capillaries measured at the same temperature. The result conforms to the hypothesis that only a small fraction (mean 10%) of the area of junctional contact between adjacent endothelial cells is available for water and solute exchange in frog muscle capillaries. The hydraulic and diffusional conductances per unit length of open junction appeared to be very similar when muscle capillaries are compared to mesenteric capillaries in the frog. 6. Our results leads us to speculate that structures within the intercellular junctions determine the extent of open junction and may modulate the hydraulic conductivity of both the principal water pathway and the exclusive water pathway.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)293-307
Number of pages15
JournalJournal of Physiology
VolumeVOL. 350
StatePublished - 1984

Fingerprint

Rana pipiens
Anura
Muscles
Water
Sucrose
Intercellular Junctions
Bovine Serum Albumin

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Physiology

Cite this

Water flow across the walls of single muscle capillaries in the frog, Rana pipiens. / Curry, F. E.; Frokjaer-Jensen, J.

In: Journal of Physiology, Vol. VOL. 350, 1984, p. 293-307.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Curry, FE & Frokjaer-Jensen, J 1984, 'Water flow across the walls of single muscle capillaries in the frog, Rana pipiens', Journal of Physiology, vol. VOL. 350, pp. 293-307.
Curry, F. E. ; Frokjaer-Jensen, J. / Water flow across the walls of single muscle capillaries in the frog, Rana pipiens. In: Journal of Physiology. 1984 ; Vol. VOL. 350. pp. 293-307.
@article{32264b287a364786bd190a0ecd017785,
title = "Water flow across the walls of single muscle capillaries in the frog, Rana pipiens",
abstract = "1. Individual capillaries of the transilluminated frog muscle cutaneous pectoris were perfused with suspensions of human red cells in frog Ringer solution containing 1 g/dl bovine serum albumin. The modified Landis technique (Michel, Mason, Curry & Tooke, 1974) was used to measure hydraulic conductivities of the capillary wall. Sucrose osmotic reflexion coefficients of the capillary wall was measured in four capillaries when the superfusate contained 100 mM-sucrose. All experiments were made at 22-24 °C. 2. The hydraulic conductivity of arterial capillaries varied from 0.3 to 1.26 x 10-7 cm/(s cmH2O) with a mean of 0.79 x 10-7 cm/(s cmH2O) (six capillaries). The hydraulic conductivities of mid-capillaries varied from 0.43 to 1.86 x 10-7 cm/(s cmH2O) with a mean value of 0.72 x 10-7 cm/(s cmH2O) (six capillaries). 3. The mean reflexion coefficient to sucrose was 0.12 ± 0.05 (S.D.). 4. The measured reflexion coefficients to sucrose conform to the hypothesis that 90{\%} of the transcapillary water flow crosses the capillary wall via the principal hydrophilic pathway. The remaining 10{\%} crosses via an exclusive water pathway. The distribution of water flow is similar to that previously described in frog mesenteric capillaries. 5. The mean value of the hydraulic conductivity of frog muscle capillaries is about one-seventh the mean value of the hydraulic conductivity of frog mesenteric capillaries measured at the same temperature. The result conforms to the hypothesis that only a small fraction (mean 10{\%}) of the area of junctional contact between adjacent endothelial cells is available for water and solute exchange in frog muscle capillaries. The hydraulic and diffusional conductances per unit length of open junction appeared to be very similar when muscle capillaries are compared to mesenteric capillaries in the frog. 6. Our results leads us to speculate that structures within the intercellular junctions determine the extent of open junction and may modulate the hydraulic conductivity of both the principal water pathway and the exclusive water pathway.",
author = "Curry, {F. E.} and J. Frokjaer-Jensen",
year = "1984",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "VOL. 350",
pages = "293--307",
journal = "Journal of Physiology",
issn = "0022-3751",
publisher = "Wiley-Blackwell",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Water flow across the walls of single muscle capillaries in the frog, Rana pipiens

AU - Curry, F. E.

AU - Frokjaer-Jensen, J.

PY - 1984

Y1 - 1984

N2 - 1. Individual capillaries of the transilluminated frog muscle cutaneous pectoris were perfused with suspensions of human red cells in frog Ringer solution containing 1 g/dl bovine serum albumin. The modified Landis technique (Michel, Mason, Curry & Tooke, 1974) was used to measure hydraulic conductivities of the capillary wall. Sucrose osmotic reflexion coefficients of the capillary wall was measured in four capillaries when the superfusate contained 100 mM-sucrose. All experiments were made at 22-24 °C. 2. The hydraulic conductivity of arterial capillaries varied from 0.3 to 1.26 x 10-7 cm/(s cmH2O) with a mean of 0.79 x 10-7 cm/(s cmH2O) (six capillaries). The hydraulic conductivities of mid-capillaries varied from 0.43 to 1.86 x 10-7 cm/(s cmH2O) with a mean value of 0.72 x 10-7 cm/(s cmH2O) (six capillaries). 3. The mean reflexion coefficient to sucrose was 0.12 ± 0.05 (S.D.). 4. The measured reflexion coefficients to sucrose conform to the hypothesis that 90% of the transcapillary water flow crosses the capillary wall via the principal hydrophilic pathway. The remaining 10% crosses via an exclusive water pathway. The distribution of water flow is similar to that previously described in frog mesenteric capillaries. 5. The mean value of the hydraulic conductivity of frog muscle capillaries is about one-seventh the mean value of the hydraulic conductivity of frog mesenteric capillaries measured at the same temperature. The result conforms to the hypothesis that only a small fraction (mean 10%) of the area of junctional contact between adjacent endothelial cells is available for water and solute exchange in frog muscle capillaries. The hydraulic and diffusional conductances per unit length of open junction appeared to be very similar when muscle capillaries are compared to mesenteric capillaries in the frog. 6. Our results leads us to speculate that structures within the intercellular junctions determine the extent of open junction and may modulate the hydraulic conductivity of both the principal water pathway and the exclusive water pathway.

AB - 1. Individual capillaries of the transilluminated frog muscle cutaneous pectoris were perfused with suspensions of human red cells in frog Ringer solution containing 1 g/dl bovine serum albumin. The modified Landis technique (Michel, Mason, Curry & Tooke, 1974) was used to measure hydraulic conductivities of the capillary wall. Sucrose osmotic reflexion coefficients of the capillary wall was measured in four capillaries when the superfusate contained 100 mM-sucrose. All experiments were made at 22-24 °C. 2. The hydraulic conductivity of arterial capillaries varied from 0.3 to 1.26 x 10-7 cm/(s cmH2O) with a mean of 0.79 x 10-7 cm/(s cmH2O) (six capillaries). The hydraulic conductivities of mid-capillaries varied from 0.43 to 1.86 x 10-7 cm/(s cmH2O) with a mean value of 0.72 x 10-7 cm/(s cmH2O) (six capillaries). 3. The mean reflexion coefficient to sucrose was 0.12 ± 0.05 (S.D.). 4. The measured reflexion coefficients to sucrose conform to the hypothesis that 90% of the transcapillary water flow crosses the capillary wall via the principal hydrophilic pathway. The remaining 10% crosses via an exclusive water pathway. The distribution of water flow is similar to that previously described in frog mesenteric capillaries. 5. The mean value of the hydraulic conductivity of frog muscle capillaries is about one-seventh the mean value of the hydraulic conductivity of frog mesenteric capillaries measured at the same temperature. The result conforms to the hypothesis that only a small fraction (mean 10%) of the area of junctional contact between adjacent endothelial cells is available for water and solute exchange in frog muscle capillaries. The hydraulic and diffusional conductances per unit length of open junction appeared to be very similar when muscle capillaries are compared to mesenteric capillaries in the frog. 6. Our results leads us to speculate that structures within the intercellular junctions determine the extent of open junction and may modulate the hydraulic conductivity of both the principal water pathway and the exclusive water pathway.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0021195723&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0021195723&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 6611400

AN - SCOPUS:0021195723

VL - VOL. 350

SP - 293

EP - 307

JO - Journal of Physiology

JF - Journal of Physiology

SN - 0022-3751

ER -