The 25(OH)D level needed to maintain a favorable bisphosphonate response is ≥33 ng/ml

A. S. Carmel, A. Shieh, Heejung Bang, R. S. Bockman

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

77 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Summary: Why only some osteoporotic patients maintain response to prolonged bisphosphonate therapy is unknown. We examined bisphosphonate response and its association with serum 25 hydroxy vitamin D (25(OH)D) level in a "real world" setting. Serum 25(OH)D level was strongly associated with maintaining bisphosphonate response arguing that vitamin D may be involved in optimizing prolonged bisphosphonate therapy. Introduction: This study examined the maintenance of bisphosphonate response in the "real world" setting and the association between 25(OH)D and bisphosphonate response using an established composite definition of response. Methods: Postmenopausal women with low bone mineral density (BMD) treated with bisphosphonates were identified from two New York City practices. Patients were excluded for a history of chronic steroid use, metabolic bone disease, or bisphosphonate non-adherence. Patients were categorized as bisphosphonate non-responders if they had a T-score<-3 that persisted between dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scans, a >3% decrease in BMD, or an incident fracture on bisphosphonate therapy, criteria based on the EUROFORS trial. Demographic and clinical data including mean 25(OH) D levels between DEXA scans were obtained. Mean 25(OH) D levels were compared between responders and nonresponders and multiple logistic regression analysis was performed to identify factors associated with non-response. Results: A total of 210 patients were studied. A favorable response to bisphosphonate therapy was seen in 47% (N0 99/210). Patients with a mean 25(OH)D ≥33 ng/ml had a ∼4.5-fold greater odds of a favorable response (P<0.0001). 25(OH)D level was significantly associated with response- a 1 ng/ml decrease in 25(OH)D was associated with ∼5% decrease in odds of responding (odds ratio00.95; 95% confidence interval, 0.92-0.98; P00.0006). Conclusions: Patients with a mean 25(OH)D ≥33 ng/ml had a substantially greater likelihood of maintaining bisphosphonate response. This threshold level of 25(OH)D is higher than that considered adequate by the Institute of Medicine, arguing that higher levelsmay be required for specific therapeutic outcomes.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)2479-2487
Number of pages9
JournalOsteoporosis International
Volume23
Issue number10
DOIs
StatePublished - Oct 2012

Fingerprint

Diphosphonates
Vitamin D
Bone Density
Therapeutics
National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine (U.S.) Health and Medicine Division
Metabolic Bone Diseases
Photon Absorptiometry
Serum
Logistic Models
Steroids
Regression Analysis
Maintenance
Demography
Confidence Intervals

Keywords

  • Biphosphonates
  • Clinical response
  • Fracture
  • Osteoporosis
  • Vitamin D

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism

Cite this

The 25(OH)D level needed to maintain a favorable bisphosphonate response is ≥33 ng/ml. / Carmel, A. S.; Shieh, A.; Bang, Heejung; Bockman, R. S.

In: Osteoporosis International, Vol. 23, No. 10, 10.2012, p. 2479-2487.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Carmel, A. S. ; Shieh, A. ; Bang, Heejung ; Bockman, R. S. / The 25(OH)D level needed to maintain a favorable bisphosphonate response is ≥33 ng/ml. In: Osteoporosis International. 2012 ; Vol. 23, No. 10. pp. 2479-2487.
@article{2b94cc2d55d440a58fef79a74511ee14,
title = "The 25(OH)D level needed to maintain a favorable bisphosphonate response is ≥33 ng/ml",
abstract = "Summary: Why only some osteoporotic patients maintain response to prolonged bisphosphonate therapy is unknown. We examined bisphosphonate response and its association with serum 25 hydroxy vitamin D (25(OH)D) level in a {"}real world{"} setting. Serum 25(OH)D level was strongly associated with maintaining bisphosphonate response arguing that vitamin D may be involved in optimizing prolonged bisphosphonate therapy. Introduction: This study examined the maintenance of bisphosphonate response in the {"}real world{"} setting and the association between 25(OH)D and bisphosphonate response using an established composite definition of response. Methods: Postmenopausal women with low bone mineral density (BMD) treated with bisphosphonates were identified from two New York City practices. Patients were excluded for a history of chronic steroid use, metabolic bone disease, or bisphosphonate non-adherence. Patients were categorized as bisphosphonate non-responders if they had a T-score<-3 that persisted between dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scans, a >3{\%} decrease in BMD, or an incident fracture on bisphosphonate therapy, criteria based on the EUROFORS trial. Demographic and clinical data including mean 25(OH) D levels between DEXA scans were obtained. Mean 25(OH) D levels were compared between responders and nonresponders and multiple logistic regression analysis was performed to identify factors associated with non-response. Results: A total of 210 patients were studied. A favorable response to bisphosphonate therapy was seen in 47{\%} (N0 99/210). Patients with a mean 25(OH)D ≥33 ng/ml had a ∼4.5-fold greater odds of a favorable response (P<0.0001). 25(OH)D level was significantly associated with response- a 1 ng/ml decrease in 25(OH)D was associated with ∼5{\%} decrease in odds of responding (odds ratio00.95; 95{\%} confidence interval, 0.92-0.98; P00.0006). Conclusions: Patients with a mean 25(OH)D ≥33 ng/ml had a substantially greater likelihood of maintaining bisphosphonate response. This threshold level of 25(OH)D is higher than that considered adequate by the Institute of Medicine, arguing that higher levelsmay be required for specific therapeutic outcomes.",
keywords = "Biphosphonates, Clinical response, Fracture, Osteoporosis, Vitamin D",
author = "Carmel, {A. S.} and A. Shieh and Heejung Bang and Bockman, {R. S.}",
year = "2012",
month = "10",
doi = "10.1007/s00198-011-1868-7",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "23",
pages = "2479--2487",
journal = "Osteoporosis International",
issn = "0937-941X",
publisher = "Springer London",
number = "10",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - The 25(OH)D level needed to maintain a favorable bisphosphonate response is ≥33 ng/ml

AU - Carmel, A. S.

AU - Shieh, A.

AU - Bang, Heejung

AU - Bockman, R. S.

PY - 2012/10

Y1 - 2012/10

N2 - Summary: Why only some osteoporotic patients maintain response to prolonged bisphosphonate therapy is unknown. We examined bisphosphonate response and its association with serum 25 hydroxy vitamin D (25(OH)D) level in a "real world" setting. Serum 25(OH)D level was strongly associated with maintaining bisphosphonate response arguing that vitamin D may be involved in optimizing prolonged bisphosphonate therapy. Introduction: This study examined the maintenance of bisphosphonate response in the "real world" setting and the association between 25(OH)D and bisphosphonate response using an established composite definition of response. Methods: Postmenopausal women with low bone mineral density (BMD) treated with bisphosphonates were identified from two New York City practices. Patients were excluded for a history of chronic steroid use, metabolic bone disease, or bisphosphonate non-adherence. Patients were categorized as bisphosphonate non-responders if they had a T-score<-3 that persisted between dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scans, a >3% decrease in BMD, or an incident fracture on bisphosphonate therapy, criteria based on the EUROFORS trial. Demographic and clinical data including mean 25(OH) D levels between DEXA scans were obtained. Mean 25(OH) D levels were compared between responders and nonresponders and multiple logistic regression analysis was performed to identify factors associated with non-response. Results: A total of 210 patients were studied. A favorable response to bisphosphonate therapy was seen in 47% (N0 99/210). Patients with a mean 25(OH)D ≥33 ng/ml had a ∼4.5-fold greater odds of a favorable response (P<0.0001). 25(OH)D level was significantly associated with response- a 1 ng/ml decrease in 25(OH)D was associated with ∼5% decrease in odds of responding (odds ratio00.95; 95% confidence interval, 0.92-0.98; P00.0006). Conclusions: Patients with a mean 25(OH)D ≥33 ng/ml had a substantially greater likelihood of maintaining bisphosphonate response. This threshold level of 25(OH)D is higher than that considered adequate by the Institute of Medicine, arguing that higher levelsmay be required for specific therapeutic outcomes.

AB - Summary: Why only some osteoporotic patients maintain response to prolonged bisphosphonate therapy is unknown. We examined bisphosphonate response and its association with serum 25 hydroxy vitamin D (25(OH)D) level in a "real world" setting. Serum 25(OH)D level was strongly associated with maintaining bisphosphonate response arguing that vitamin D may be involved in optimizing prolonged bisphosphonate therapy. Introduction: This study examined the maintenance of bisphosphonate response in the "real world" setting and the association between 25(OH)D and bisphosphonate response using an established composite definition of response. Methods: Postmenopausal women with low bone mineral density (BMD) treated with bisphosphonates were identified from two New York City practices. Patients were excluded for a history of chronic steroid use, metabolic bone disease, or bisphosphonate non-adherence. Patients were categorized as bisphosphonate non-responders if they had a T-score<-3 that persisted between dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scans, a >3% decrease in BMD, or an incident fracture on bisphosphonate therapy, criteria based on the EUROFORS trial. Demographic and clinical data including mean 25(OH) D levels between DEXA scans were obtained. Mean 25(OH) D levels were compared between responders and nonresponders and multiple logistic regression analysis was performed to identify factors associated with non-response. Results: A total of 210 patients were studied. A favorable response to bisphosphonate therapy was seen in 47% (N0 99/210). Patients with a mean 25(OH)D ≥33 ng/ml had a ∼4.5-fold greater odds of a favorable response (P<0.0001). 25(OH)D level was significantly associated with response- a 1 ng/ml decrease in 25(OH)D was associated with ∼5% decrease in odds of responding (odds ratio00.95; 95% confidence interval, 0.92-0.98; P00.0006). Conclusions: Patients with a mean 25(OH)D ≥33 ng/ml had a substantially greater likelihood of maintaining bisphosphonate response. This threshold level of 25(OH)D is higher than that considered adequate by the Institute of Medicine, arguing that higher levelsmay be required for specific therapeutic outcomes.

KW - Biphosphonates

KW - Clinical response

KW - Fracture

KW - Osteoporosis

KW - Vitamin D

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84867328472&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84867328472&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/s00198-011-1868-7

DO - 10.1007/s00198-011-1868-7

M3 - Article

VL - 23

SP - 2479

EP - 2487

JO - Osteoporosis International

JF - Osteoporosis International

SN - 0937-941X

IS - 10

ER -