Retrospective evaluation of clinical outcome after chemotherapy for lymphoma in 15 equids (1991-2017)

Daniela Luethy, Angela E. Frimberger, Daniela Bedenice, Barbara A Byrne, Erin S. Groover, Rachel B. Gardner, Trisha Lewis, Valerie S. MacDonald, Lauren Proctor-Brown, Joy E. Tomlinson, Kenneth M. Rassnick, Amy L. Johnson

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

1 Citation (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: Prognosis associated with lymphoma in horses is poorly characterized, and treatment is often palliative. Long-term outcome after chemotherapy for horses with lymphoma is not well documented. Objective: To report long-term outcome of horses with lymphoma treated with chemotherapy. Animals: Fifteen equids. Methods: Retrospective case series. Medical record search and call for cases on the ACVIM listserv for horses treated with chemotherapy for lymphoma. Results: Fifteen cases with adequate data were identified. Complete remission was achieved in 5 horses (33.3%), partial response was achieved in 9 equids (60%), and stable disease was achieved in 1 horse. Overall response rate was 93.3% (14/15). Overall median survival time was 8 months (range, 1-46 months). Nine horses experienced a total of 14 adverse effects attributable to chemotherapy. Adverse effects were graded according to the Veterinary Cooperative Oncology Group common terminology criteria for adverse events grading system (grade 1 alopecia, n = 2; grade 1 neutropenia, n = 2; grade 1 lymphopenia, n = 3; grade 1 lethargy, n = 1; grade 2 neurotoxicity, n = 1; grade 2 colic, n = 1; grade 1 hypersensitivity, n = 1; grade 2 hypersensitivity, n = 2; grade 5 hypersensitivity, n = 1). Higher grade adverse effects most commonly were associated with doxorubicin administration (n = 4), including 1 horse that died 18 hours post-administration. Conclusions and Clinical Importance: Chemotherapy can be used successfully for treatment of horses with lymphoma. Adverse effects, most commonly mild, occurred in approximately two-thirds of treated horses.

Original languageEnglish (US)
JournalJournal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
DOIs
StateAccepted/In press - Jan 1 2019

Fingerprint

lymphoma
Horses
drug therapy
Lymphoma
horses
Drug Therapy
adverse effects
hypersensitivity
Hypersensitivity
electronic discussion groups
neutropenia
Lethargy
Lymphopenia
doxorubicin
neurotoxicity
Colic
alopecia
colic
Alopecia
remission

Keywords

  • chemotherapy
  • doxorubicin
  • horse
  • neoplasia

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • veterinary(all)

Cite this

Retrospective evaluation of clinical outcome after chemotherapy for lymphoma in 15 equids (1991-2017). / Luethy, Daniela; Frimberger, Angela E.; Bedenice, Daniela; Byrne, Barbara A; Groover, Erin S.; Gardner, Rachel B.; Lewis, Trisha; MacDonald, Valerie S.; Proctor-Brown, Lauren; Tomlinson, Joy E.; Rassnick, Kenneth M.; Johnson, Amy L.

In: Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 01.01.2019.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Luethy, D, Frimberger, AE, Bedenice, D, Byrne, BA, Groover, ES, Gardner, RB, Lewis, T, MacDonald, VS, Proctor-Brown, L, Tomlinson, JE, Rassnick, KM & Johnson, AL 2019, 'Retrospective evaluation of clinical outcome after chemotherapy for lymphoma in 15 equids (1991-2017)', Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. https://doi.org/10.1111/jvim.15411
Luethy, Daniela ; Frimberger, Angela E. ; Bedenice, Daniela ; Byrne, Barbara A ; Groover, Erin S. ; Gardner, Rachel B. ; Lewis, Trisha ; MacDonald, Valerie S. ; Proctor-Brown, Lauren ; Tomlinson, Joy E. ; Rassnick, Kenneth M. ; Johnson, Amy L. / Retrospective evaluation of clinical outcome after chemotherapy for lymphoma in 15 equids (1991-2017). In: Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 2019.
@article{2370770f90f94e668f69244f02035a34,
title = "Retrospective evaluation of clinical outcome after chemotherapy for lymphoma in 15 equids (1991-2017)",
abstract = "Background: Prognosis associated with lymphoma in horses is poorly characterized, and treatment is often palliative. Long-term outcome after chemotherapy for horses with lymphoma is not well documented. Objective: To report long-term outcome of horses with lymphoma treated with chemotherapy. Animals: Fifteen equids. Methods: Retrospective case series. Medical record search and call for cases on the ACVIM listserv for horses treated with chemotherapy for lymphoma. Results: Fifteen cases with adequate data were identified. Complete remission was achieved in 5 horses (33.3{\%}), partial response was achieved in 9 equids (60{\%}), and stable disease was achieved in 1 horse. Overall response rate was 93.3{\%} (14/15). Overall median survival time was 8 months (range, 1-46 months). Nine horses experienced a total of 14 adverse effects attributable to chemotherapy. Adverse effects were graded according to the Veterinary Cooperative Oncology Group common terminology criteria for adverse events grading system (grade 1 alopecia, n = 2; grade 1 neutropenia, n = 2; grade 1 lymphopenia, n = 3; grade 1 lethargy, n = 1; grade 2 neurotoxicity, n = 1; grade 2 colic, n = 1; grade 1 hypersensitivity, n = 1; grade 2 hypersensitivity, n = 2; grade 5 hypersensitivity, n = 1). Higher grade adverse effects most commonly were associated with doxorubicin administration (n = 4), including 1 horse that died 18 hours post-administration. Conclusions and Clinical Importance: Chemotherapy can be used successfully for treatment of horses with lymphoma. Adverse effects, most commonly mild, occurred in approximately two-thirds of treated horses.",
keywords = "chemotherapy, doxorubicin, horse, neoplasia",
author = "Daniela Luethy and Frimberger, {Angela E.} and Daniela Bedenice and Byrne, {Barbara A} and Groover, {Erin S.} and Gardner, {Rachel B.} and Trisha Lewis and MacDonald, {Valerie S.} and Lauren Proctor-Brown and Tomlinson, {Joy E.} and Rassnick, {Kenneth M.} and Johnson, {Amy L.}",
year = "2019",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1111/jvim.15411",
language = "English (US)",
journal = "Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine",
issn = "0891-6640",
publisher = "Wiley-Blackwell",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Retrospective evaluation of clinical outcome after chemotherapy for lymphoma in 15 equids (1991-2017)

AU - Luethy, Daniela

AU - Frimberger, Angela E.

AU - Bedenice, Daniela

AU - Byrne, Barbara A

AU - Groover, Erin S.

AU - Gardner, Rachel B.

AU - Lewis, Trisha

AU - MacDonald, Valerie S.

AU - Proctor-Brown, Lauren

AU - Tomlinson, Joy E.

AU - Rassnick, Kenneth M.

AU - Johnson, Amy L.

PY - 2019/1/1

Y1 - 2019/1/1

N2 - Background: Prognosis associated with lymphoma in horses is poorly characterized, and treatment is often palliative. Long-term outcome after chemotherapy for horses with lymphoma is not well documented. Objective: To report long-term outcome of horses with lymphoma treated with chemotherapy. Animals: Fifteen equids. Methods: Retrospective case series. Medical record search and call for cases on the ACVIM listserv for horses treated with chemotherapy for lymphoma. Results: Fifteen cases with adequate data were identified. Complete remission was achieved in 5 horses (33.3%), partial response was achieved in 9 equids (60%), and stable disease was achieved in 1 horse. Overall response rate was 93.3% (14/15). Overall median survival time was 8 months (range, 1-46 months). Nine horses experienced a total of 14 adverse effects attributable to chemotherapy. Adverse effects were graded according to the Veterinary Cooperative Oncology Group common terminology criteria for adverse events grading system (grade 1 alopecia, n = 2; grade 1 neutropenia, n = 2; grade 1 lymphopenia, n = 3; grade 1 lethargy, n = 1; grade 2 neurotoxicity, n = 1; grade 2 colic, n = 1; grade 1 hypersensitivity, n = 1; grade 2 hypersensitivity, n = 2; grade 5 hypersensitivity, n = 1). Higher grade adverse effects most commonly were associated with doxorubicin administration (n = 4), including 1 horse that died 18 hours post-administration. Conclusions and Clinical Importance: Chemotherapy can be used successfully for treatment of horses with lymphoma. Adverse effects, most commonly mild, occurred in approximately two-thirds of treated horses.

AB - Background: Prognosis associated with lymphoma in horses is poorly characterized, and treatment is often palliative. Long-term outcome after chemotherapy for horses with lymphoma is not well documented. Objective: To report long-term outcome of horses with lymphoma treated with chemotherapy. Animals: Fifteen equids. Methods: Retrospective case series. Medical record search and call for cases on the ACVIM listserv for horses treated with chemotherapy for lymphoma. Results: Fifteen cases with adequate data were identified. Complete remission was achieved in 5 horses (33.3%), partial response was achieved in 9 equids (60%), and stable disease was achieved in 1 horse. Overall response rate was 93.3% (14/15). Overall median survival time was 8 months (range, 1-46 months). Nine horses experienced a total of 14 adverse effects attributable to chemotherapy. Adverse effects were graded according to the Veterinary Cooperative Oncology Group common terminology criteria for adverse events grading system (grade 1 alopecia, n = 2; grade 1 neutropenia, n = 2; grade 1 lymphopenia, n = 3; grade 1 lethargy, n = 1; grade 2 neurotoxicity, n = 1; grade 2 colic, n = 1; grade 1 hypersensitivity, n = 1; grade 2 hypersensitivity, n = 2; grade 5 hypersensitivity, n = 1). Higher grade adverse effects most commonly were associated with doxorubicin administration (n = 4), including 1 horse that died 18 hours post-administration. Conclusions and Clinical Importance: Chemotherapy can be used successfully for treatment of horses with lymphoma. Adverse effects, most commonly mild, occurred in approximately two-thirds of treated horses.

KW - chemotherapy

KW - doxorubicin

KW - horse

KW - neoplasia

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85059886206&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85059886206&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1111/jvim.15411

DO - 10.1111/jvim.15411

M3 - Article

C2 - 30636061

AN - SCOPUS:85059886206

JO - Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine

JF - Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine

SN - 0891-6640

ER -