Results of rhinoscopy alone or in conjunction with sinuscopy in dogs with aspergillosis

46 cases (2001-2004)

Lynelle R Johnson, Tracy L. Drazenovich, Melissa A. Herrera, Erik R Wisner

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

36 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Objective - To determine results of diagnostic testing, including detection of nasal or frontal sinus fungal plaques, in dogs with nasal aspergillosis. Design - Retrospective case series. Animals - 46 dogs with nasal aspergillosis. Procedures - Medical records were reviewed for information on computed tomographic findings; rhinoscopic findings, including whether fungal plaques were seen in the nasal cavity; results of frontal sinus trephination and sinuscopy, including whether fungal plaques were seen in the frontal sinus; and results of histologic examination of biopsy specimens. Results - In 38 (83%) dogs, fungal plaques were seen in the nasal cavity during rhinoscopy, whereas in the remaining 8 (17%), fungal plaques were not seen in the nasal cavity b ut were seen in the frontal sinus. Duration of clinical signs, proportions of dogs in which the referring veterinarian had performed a nasal examination prior to referral, proportions of dogs with computed tomographic evidence of nasal cavity cavitation or sinus involvement, and proportions of dogs with rhinoscopic evidence of destructive rhinitis were not significantly different between dogs with nasal fungal plaques and dogs with fungal plaques only in the frontal sinus. Conclusions and Clinical Relevance - Results confirm that frontal sinus involvement is common in dogs with nasal aspergillosis and suggest that frontal sinus trephination and sinuscopy may aid in the diagnosis of aspergillosis in dogs, particularly dogs with rhinoscopic evidence of destructive rhinitis and computed tomographic evidence of sinus involvement that lack detectable fungal plaques in the nasal cavity.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)738-742
Number of pages5
JournalJournal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
Volume228
Issue number5
DOIs
StatePublished - Mar 1 2006

Fingerprint

rhinoscopy
Aspergillosis
aspergillosis
Frontal Sinus
sinuses
Dogs
dogs
nasal cavity
Nasal Cavity
Nose
Trephining
rhinitis
Paranasal Sinuses
Rhinitis
paranasal sinuses
Veterinarians
Medical Records
veterinarians
biopsy

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • veterinary(all)

Cite this

Results of rhinoscopy alone or in conjunction with sinuscopy in dogs with aspergillosis : 46 cases (2001-2004). / Johnson, Lynelle R; Drazenovich, Tracy L.; Herrera, Melissa A.; Wisner, Erik R.

In: Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Vol. 228, No. 5, 01.03.2006, p. 738-742.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{a26d09ccd90342fc9ba7f9f53d052381,
title = "Results of rhinoscopy alone or in conjunction with sinuscopy in dogs with aspergillosis: 46 cases (2001-2004)",
abstract = "Objective - To determine results of diagnostic testing, including detection of nasal or frontal sinus fungal plaques, in dogs with nasal aspergillosis. Design - Retrospective case series. Animals - 46 dogs with nasal aspergillosis. Procedures - Medical records were reviewed for information on computed tomographic findings; rhinoscopic findings, including whether fungal plaques were seen in the nasal cavity; results of frontal sinus trephination and sinuscopy, including whether fungal plaques were seen in the frontal sinus; and results of histologic examination of biopsy specimens. Results - In 38 (83{\%}) dogs, fungal plaques were seen in the nasal cavity during rhinoscopy, whereas in the remaining 8 (17{\%}), fungal plaques were not seen in the nasal cavity b ut were seen in the frontal sinus. Duration of clinical signs, proportions of dogs in which the referring veterinarian had performed a nasal examination prior to referral, proportions of dogs with computed tomographic evidence of nasal cavity cavitation or sinus involvement, and proportions of dogs with rhinoscopic evidence of destructive rhinitis were not significantly different between dogs with nasal fungal plaques and dogs with fungal plaques only in the frontal sinus. Conclusions and Clinical Relevance - Results confirm that frontal sinus involvement is common in dogs with nasal aspergillosis and suggest that frontal sinus trephination and sinuscopy may aid in the diagnosis of aspergillosis in dogs, particularly dogs with rhinoscopic evidence of destructive rhinitis and computed tomographic evidence of sinus involvement that lack detectable fungal plaques in the nasal cavity.",
author = "Johnson, {Lynelle R} and Drazenovich, {Tracy L.} and Herrera, {Melissa A.} and Wisner, {Erik R}",
year = "2006",
month = "3",
day = "1",
doi = "10.2460/javma.228.5.738",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "228",
pages = "738--742",
journal = "Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association",
issn = "0003-1488",
publisher = "American Veterinary Medical Association",
number = "5",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Results of rhinoscopy alone or in conjunction with sinuscopy in dogs with aspergillosis

T2 - 46 cases (2001-2004)

AU - Johnson, Lynelle R

AU - Drazenovich, Tracy L.

AU - Herrera, Melissa A.

AU - Wisner, Erik R

PY - 2006/3/1

Y1 - 2006/3/1

N2 - Objective - To determine results of diagnostic testing, including detection of nasal or frontal sinus fungal plaques, in dogs with nasal aspergillosis. Design - Retrospective case series. Animals - 46 dogs with nasal aspergillosis. Procedures - Medical records were reviewed for information on computed tomographic findings; rhinoscopic findings, including whether fungal plaques were seen in the nasal cavity; results of frontal sinus trephination and sinuscopy, including whether fungal plaques were seen in the frontal sinus; and results of histologic examination of biopsy specimens. Results - In 38 (83%) dogs, fungal plaques were seen in the nasal cavity during rhinoscopy, whereas in the remaining 8 (17%), fungal plaques were not seen in the nasal cavity b ut were seen in the frontal sinus. Duration of clinical signs, proportions of dogs in which the referring veterinarian had performed a nasal examination prior to referral, proportions of dogs with computed tomographic evidence of nasal cavity cavitation or sinus involvement, and proportions of dogs with rhinoscopic evidence of destructive rhinitis were not significantly different between dogs with nasal fungal plaques and dogs with fungal plaques only in the frontal sinus. Conclusions and Clinical Relevance - Results confirm that frontal sinus involvement is common in dogs with nasal aspergillosis and suggest that frontal sinus trephination and sinuscopy may aid in the diagnosis of aspergillosis in dogs, particularly dogs with rhinoscopic evidence of destructive rhinitis and computed tomographic evidence of sinus involvement that lack detectable fungal plaques in the nasal cavity.

AB - Objective - To determine results of diagnostic testing, including detection of nasal or frontal sinus fungal plaques, in dogs with nasal aspergillosis. Design - Retrospective case series. Animals - 46 dogs with nasal aspergillosis. Procedures - Medical records were reviewed for information on computed tomographic findings; rhinoscopic findings, including whether fungal plaques were seen in the nasal cavity; results of frontal sinus trephination and sinuscopy, including whether fungal plaques were seen in the frontal sinus; and results of histologic examination of biopsy specimens. Results - In 38 (83%) dogs, fungal plaques were seen in the nasal cavity during rhinoscopy, whereas in the remaining 8 (17%), fungal plaques were not seen in the nasal cavity b ut were seen in the frontal sinus. Duration of clinical signs, proportions of dogs in which the referring veterinarian had performed a nasal examination prior to referral, proportions of dogs with computed tomographic evidence of nasal cavity cavitation or sinus involvement, and proportions of dogs with rhinoscopic evidence of destructive rhinitis were not significantly different between dogs with nasal fungal plaques and dogs with fungal plaques only in the frontal sinus. Conclusions and Clinical Relevance - Results confirm that frontal sinus involvement is common in dogs with nasal aspergillosis and suggest that frontal sinus trephination and sinuscopy may aid in the diagnosis of aspergillosis in dogs, particularly dogs with rhinoscopic evidence of destructive rhinitis and computed tomographic evidence of sinus involvement that lack detectable fungal plaques in the nasal cavity.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=33644806308&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=33644806308&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.2460/javma.228.5.738

DO - 10.2460/javma.228.5.738

M3 - Article

VL - 228

SP - 738

EP - 742

JO - Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association

JF - Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association

SN - 0003-1488

IS - 5

ER -