Respiratory failure attributable to moxidectin intoxication in a dog

M. W. Beal, Robert H Poppenga, W. J. Birdsall, D. Hughes

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

29 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

A 5-month-old 22-kg (48.4-lb) sexually intact male Collie was examined after ingesting a moxidectin-containing deworming medication. The dog was comatose and had respiratory arrest after progressively worsening lethargy, ataxia, and seizures. Exposure was confirmed by isolation of moxidectin from a biopsy specimen of adipose tissue, using liquid chromatography-mass spectroscopy methods. Treatment included use of intermittent positive- pressure ventilation, activated charcoal and cathartic administered enterally, nutrients administered via nasogastric tube, and intensive supportive care. The dog was weaned from a ventilator on day 6 after ingestion and was discharged on day 10. The dog was considered clinically normal during examination 24 days after ingestion. On the basis of the dog reported here and toxicologic data provided by the manufacturer of the deworming product, some Collies may have increased susceptibility to products containing high doses of moxidectin.

Original languageEnglish (US)
JournalJournal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
Volume215
Issue number12
StatePublished - Dec 15 1999
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

moxidectin
Respiratory Insufficiency
poisoning
Dogs
deworming
dogs
Eating
ingestion
Cathartics
Intermittent Positive-Pressure Ventilation
Collie
ventilators
Lethargy
Charcoal
enteral feeding
Ataxia
Mechanical Ventilators
activated carbon
Critical Care
seizures

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • veterinary(all)

Cite this

Respiratory failure attributable to moxidectin intoxication in a dog. / Beal, M. W.; Poppenga, Robert H; Birdsall, W. J.; Hughes, D.

In: Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Vol. 215, No. 12, 15.12.1999.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{b7d03292686e4af68af94b44d2eaf2f5,
title = "Respiratory failure attributable to moxidectin intoxication in a dog",
abstract = "A 5-month-old 22-kg (48.4-lb) sexually intact male Collie was examined after ingesting a moxidectin-containing deworming medication. The dog was comatose and had respiratory arrest after progressively worsening lethargy, ataxia, and seizures. Exposure was confirmed by isolation of moxidectin from a biopsy specimen of adipose tissue, using liquid chromatography-mass spectroscopy methods. Treatment included use of intermittent positive- pressure ventilation, activated charcoal and cathartic administered enterally, nutrients administered via nasogastric tube, and intensive supportive care. The dog was weaned from a ventilator on day 6 after ingestion and was discharged on day 10. The dog was considered clinically normal during examination 24 days after ingestion. On the basis of the dog reported here and toxicologic data provided by the manufacturer of the deworming product, some Collies may have increased susceptibility to products containing high doses of moxidectin.",
author = "Beal, {M. W.} and Poppenga, {Robert H} and Birdsall, {W. J.} and D. Hughes",
year = "1999",
month = "12",
day = "15",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "215",
journal = "Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association",
issn = "0003-1488",
publisher = "American Veterinary Medical Association",
number = "12",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Respiratory failure attributable to moxidectin intoxication in a dog

AU - Beal, M. W.

AU - Poppenga, Robert H

AU - Birdsall, W. J.

AU - Hughes, D.

PY - 1999/12/15

Y1 - 1999/12/15

N2 - A 5-month-old 22-kg (48.4-lb) sexually intact male Collie was examined after ingesting a moxidectin-containing deworming medication. The dog was comatose and had respiratory arrest after progressively worsening lethargy, ataxia, and seizures. Exposure was confirmed by isolation of moxidectin from a biopsy specimen of adipose tissue, using liquid chromatography-mass spectroscopy methods. Treatment included use of intermittent positive- pressure ventilation, activated charcoal and cathartic administered enterally, nutrients administered via nasogastric tube, and intensive supportive care. The dog was weaned from a ventilator on day 6 after ingestion and was discharged on day 10. The dog was considered clinically normal during examination 24 days after ingestion. On the basis of the dog reported here and toxicologic data provided by the manufacturer of the deworming product, some Collies may have increased susceptibility to products containing high doses of moxidectin.

AB - A 5-month-old 22-kg (48.4-lb) sexually intact male Collie was examined after ingesting a moxidectin-containing deworming medication. The dog was comatose and had respiratory arrest after progressively worsening lethargy, ataxia, and seizures. Exposure was confirmed by isolation of moxidectin from a biopsy specimen of adipose tissue, using liquid chromatography-mass spectroscopy methods. Treatment included use of intermittent positive- pressure ventilation, activated charcoal and cathartic administered enterally, nutrients administered via nasogastric tube, and intensive supportive care. The dog was weaned from a ventilator on day 6 after ingestion and was discharged on day 10. The dog was considered clinically normal during examination 24 days after ingestion. On the basis of the dog reported here and toxicologic data provided by the manufacturer of the deworming product, some Collies may have increased susceptibility to products containing high doses of moxidectin.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0033572424&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0033572424&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 10613213

AN - SCOPUS:0033572424

VL - 215

JO - Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association

JF - Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association

SN - 0003-1488

IS - 12

ER -