Profile of native N-linked glycan structures from human serum using high performance liquid chromatography on a microfluidic chip and time-of-flight mass spectrometry

Caroline S. Chu, Milady R. Niñonuevo, Brian H. Clowers, Patrick D. Perkins, Hyun Joo An, Hongfeng Yin, Kevin Killeen, Suzanne Miyamoto, Rudolf Grimm, Carlito B Lebrilla

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

116 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Protein glycosylation involves the addition of monosaccharides in a stepwise process requiring no glycan template. Therefore, identifying the numerous glycoforms, including isomers, can help elucidate the biological function(s) of particular glycans. A method to assess the diversity of the N-linked oligosaccharides released from human serum without derivatization has been developed using on-line nanoLC and high resolution TOF MS. The N-linked oligosaccharides were analyzed with MALDI FT-ICR MS and microchip LC MS (HPLC-Chip/TOF MS). Two microfluidic chips were employed, the glycan chip (40 nL enrichment column, 4360.075 mm2 i.d. analytical column) and the high capacity chip (160 nL enrichment column, 14060.075 mm2 i.d. analytical column), both with graphitized carbon as the stationary phase. Both chips offered good sensitivity and reproducibility in separating a heterogeneous mixture of neutral and anionic oligosaccharides between injections. Increasing the length and volume of the enrichment and the analytical columns improved resolution of the peaks. Complex type N-linked oligosaccharides were the most abundant oligosaccharides in human serum accounting for ~ 96% of the total glycans identified, while hybrid and high mannose type oligosaccharides comprise the remaining ~ 4%.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1939-1951
Number of pages13
JournalProteomics
Volume9
Issue number7
DOIs
StatePublished - Apr 2009

Fingerprint

Microfluidics
High performance liquid chromatography
Oligosaccharides
Mass spectrometry
Polysaccharides
Mass Spectrometry
High Pressure Liquid Chromatography
Serum
Glycosylation
Monosaccharides
Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption-Ionization Mass Spectrometry
Mannose
Isomers
Carbon
Injections
Proteins

Keywords

  • FT-ICR MS
  • HPLC/Chip-TOF MS
  • Human serum
  • N-linked
  • Oligosaccharides

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Molecular Biology
  • Biochemistry

Cite this

Profile of native N-linked glycan structures from human serum using high performance liquid chromatography on a microfluidic chip and time-of-flight mass spectrometry. / Chu, Caroline S.; Niñonuevo, Milady R.; Clowers, Brian H.; Perkins, Patrick D.; An, Hyun Joo; Yin, Hongfeng; Killeen, Kevin; Miyamoto, Suzanne; Grimm, Rudolf; Lebrilla, Carlito B.

In: Proteomics, Vol. 9, No. 7, 04.2009, p. 1939-1951.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Chu, CS, Niñonuevo, MR, Clowers, BH, Perkins, PD, An, HJ, Yin, H, Killeen, K, Miyamoto, S, Grimm, R & Lebrilla, CB 2009, 'Profile of native N-linked glycan structures from human serum using high performance liquid chromatography on a microfluidic chip and time-of-flight mass spectrometry', Proteomics, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 1939-1951. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmic.200800249
Chu, Caroline S. ; Niñonuevo, Milady R. ; Clowers, Brian H. ; Perkins, Patrick D. ; An, Hyun Joo ; Yin, Hongfeng ; Killeen, Kevin ; Miyamoto, Suzanne ; Grimm, Rudolf ; Lebrilla, Carlito B. / Profile of native N-linked glycan structures from human serum using high performance liquid chromatography on a microfluidic chip and time-of-flight mass spectrometry. In: Proteomics. 2009 ; Vol. 9, No. 7. pp. 1939-1951.
@article{b860634026354e2781bba0dce46b5f81,
title = "Profile of native N-linked glycan structures from human serum using high performance liquid chromatography on a microfluidic chip and time-of-flight mass spectrometry",
abstract = "Protein glycosylation involves the addition of monosaccharides in a stepwise process requiring no glycan template. Therefore, identifying the numerous glycoforms, including isomers, can help elucidate the biological function(s) of particular glycans. A method to assess the diversity of the N-linked oligosaccharides released from human serum without derivatization has been developed using on-line nanoLC and high resolution TOF MS. The N-linked oligosaccharides were analyzed with MALDI FT-ICR MS and microchip LC MS (HPLC-Chip/TOF MS). Two microfluidic chips were employed, the glycan chip (40 nL enrichment column, 4360.075 mm2 i.d. analytical column) and the high capacity chip (160 nL enrichment column, 14060.075 mm2 i.d. analytical column), both with graphitized carbon as the stationary phase. Both chips offered good sensitivity and reproducibility in separating a heterogeneous mixture of neutral and anionic oligosaccharides between injections. Increasing the length and volume of the enrichment and the analytical columns improved resolution of the peaks. Complex type N-linked oligosaccharides were the most abundant oligosaccharides in human serum accounting for ~ 96{\%} of the total glycans identified, while hybrid and high mannose type oligosaccharides comprise the remaining ~ 4{\%}.",
keywords = "FT-ICR MS, HPLC/Chip-TOF MS, Human serum, N-linked, Oligosaccharides",
author = "Chu, {Caroline S.} and Ni{\~n}onuevo, {Milady R.} and Clowers, {Brian H.} and Perkins, {Patrick D.} and An, {Hyun Joo} and Hongfeng Yin and Kevin Killeen and Suzanne Miyamoto and Rudolf Grimm and Lebrilla, {Carlito B}",
year = "2009",
month = "4",
doi = "10.1002/pmic.200800249",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "9",
pages = "1939--1951",
journal = "Proteomics",
issn = "1615-9853",
publisher = "Wiley-VCH Verlag",
number = "7",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Profile of native N-linked glycan structures from human serum using high performance liquid chromatography on a microfluidic chip and time-of-flight mass spectrometry

AU - Chu, Caroline S.

AU - Niñonuevo, Milady R.

AU - Clowers, Brian H.

AU - Perkins, Patrick D.

AU - An, Hyun Joo

AU - Yin, Hongfeng

AU - Killeen, Kevin

AU - Miyamoto, Suzanne

AU - Grimm, Rudolf

AU - Lebrilla, Carlito B

PY - 2009/4

Y1 - 2009/4

N2 - Protein glycosylation involves the addition of monosaccharides in a stepwise process requiring no glycan template. Therefore, identifying the numerous glycoforms, including isomers, can help elucidate the biological function(s) of particular glycans. A method to assess the diversity of the N-linked oligosaccharides released from human serum without derivatization has been developed using on-line nanoLC and high resolution TOF MS. The N-linked oligosaccharides were analyzed with MALDI FT-ICR MS and microchip LC MS (HPLC-Chip/TOF MS). Two microfluidic chips were employed, the glycan chip (40 nL enrichment column, 4360.075 mm2 i.d. analytical column) and the high capacity chip (160 nL enrichment column, 14060.075 mm2 i.d. analytical column), both with graphitized carbon as the stationary phase. Both chips offered good sensitivity and reproducibility in separating a heterogeneous mixture of neutral and anionic oligosaccharides between injections. Increasing the length and volume of the enrichment and the analytical columns improved resolution of the peaks. Complex type N-linked oligosaccharides were the most abundant oligosaccharides in human serum accounting for ~ 96% of the total glycans identified, while hybrid and high mannose type oligosaccharides comprise the remaining ~ 4%.

AB - Protein glycosylation involves the addition of monosaccharides in a stepwise process requiring no glycan template. Therefore, identifying the numerous glycoforms, including isomers, can help elucidate the biological function(s) of particular glycans. A method to assess the diversity of the N-linked oligosaccharides released from human serum without derivatization has been developed using on-line nanoLC and high resolution TOF MS. The N-linked oligosaccharides were analyzed with MALDI FT-ICR MS and microchip LC MS (HPLC-Chip/TOF MS). Two microfluidic chips were employed, the glycan chip (40 nL enrichment column, 4360.075 mm2 i.d. analytical column) and the high capacity chip (160 nL enrichment column, 14060.075 mm2 i.d. analytical column), both with graphitized carbon as the stationary phase. Both chips offered good sensitivity and reproducibility in separating a heterogeneous mixture of neutral and anionic oligosaccharides between injections. Increasing the length and volume of the enrichment and the analytical columns improved resolution of the peaks. Complex type N-linked oligosaccharides were the most abundant oligosaccharides in human serum accounting for ~ 96% of the total glycans identified, while hybrid and high mannose type oligosaccharides comprise the remaining ~ 4%.

KW - FT-ICR MS

KW - HPLC/Chip-TOF MS

KW - Human serum

KW - N-linked

KW - Oligosaccharides

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=65349151261&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=65349151261&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1002/pmic.200800249

DO - 10.1002/pmic.200800249

M3 - Article

C2 - 19288519

AN - SCOPUS:65349151261

VL - 9

SP - 1939

EP - 1951

JO - Proteomics

JF - Proteomics

SN - 1615-9853

IS - 7

ER -