Prevalence of vitamin B12 deficiency in patients with plasma cell dyscrasias: A retrospective review

Rachid Baz, Carlos Alemany, Ralph Green, Mohamad A. Hussein

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

28 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

BACKGROUND. To the authors' knowledge, the prevalence of vitamin B12 deficiency among patients with plasma cell dyscrasias (PCD) is largely unknown. Identifying this vitamin deficiency in such patients could help improve their anemia and increase their tolerance to potentially neurotoxic agents. METHODS. The authors retrospectively reviewed the charts and laboratory results of 664 consecutive patients diagnosed with PCD who had their vitamin B12 and folate status evaluated between 1997 and 2001 at the Cleveland Clinic Multiple Myeloma Research Program (Cleveland, OH). The patients were screened for vitamin B12 deficiency using serum vitamin B12 and methylmalonic acid. RESULTS. Of the 664 patients whose medical charts were reviewed, information on vitamin B12 status was available for 522 patients (78%). Among these 522 patients, 71 (13.6%) had laboratory-defined vitamin B12 deficiency and the remaining 451 patients (86.4%) did not. On univarlate analysis, vitamin B12 deficiency correlated with immunoglobulin A (IgA) PCD (P = 0.04), higher mean corpuscular volume (P = 0.008), and longer follow-up (P = 0.048). In a covariate adjusted model, only the presence of IgA PCD was associated with an increased prevalence of vitamin B12 deficiency (P = 0.003). CONCLUSIONS. Vitamin B12 deficiency was prevalent in patients with PCD, especially in patients with the IgA subtype. Serum vitamin B12 measurements should be part of the initial evaluation and subsequent workups for anemia in patients with PCD.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)790-795
Number of pages6
JournalCancer
Volume101
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - Aug 15 2004

Fingerprint

Vitamin B 12 Deficiency
Paraproteinemias
Vitamin B 12
Immunoglobulin A
Anemia
Methylmalonic Acid
Avitaminosis
Erythrocyte Indices
Serum
Multiple Myeloma
Folic Acid

Keywords

  • Immunoglobulin A
  • Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance
  • Multiple myeloma
  • Plasma cell dyscrasia
  • Vitamin 812

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Oncology

Cite this

Prevalence of vitamin B12 deficiency in patients with plasma cell dyscrasias : A retrospective review. / Baz, Rachid; Alemany, Carlos; Green, Ralph; Hussein, Mohamad A.

In: Cancer, Vol. 101, No. 4, 15.08.2004, p. 790-795.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Baz, Rachid ; Alemany, Carlos ; Green, Ralph ; Hussein, Mohamad A. / Prevalence of vitamin B12 deficiency in patients with plasma cell dyscrasias : A retrospective review. In: Cancer. 2004 ; Vol. 101, No. 4. pp. 790-795.
@article{f8fc3fcbda654b888ca18471a4020b35,
title = "Prevalence of vitamin B12 deficiency in patients with plasma cell dyscrasias: A retrospective review",
abstract = "BACKGROUND. To the authors' knowledge, the prevalence of vitamin B12 deficiency among patients with plasma cell dyscrasias (PCD) is largely unknown. Identifying this vitamin deficiency in such patients could help improve their anemia and increase their tolerance to potentially neurotoxic agents. METHODS. The authors retrospectively reviewed the charts and laboratory results of 664 consecutive patients diagnosed with PCD who had their vitamin B12 and folate status evaluated between 1997 and 2001 at the Cleveland Clinic Multiple Myeloma Research Program (Cleveland, OH). The patients were screened for vitamin B12 deficiency using serum vitamin B12 and methylmalonic acid. RESULTS. Of the 664 patients whose medical charts were reviewed, information on vitamin B12 status was available for 522 patients (78{\%}). Among these 522 patients, 71 (13.6{\%}) had laboratory-defined vitamin B12 deficiency and the remaining 451 patients (86.4{\%}) did not. On univarlate analysis, vitamin B12 deficiency correlated with immunoglobulin A (IgA) PCD (P = 0.04), higher mean corpuscular volume (P = 0.008), and longer follow-up (P = 0.048). In a covariate adjusted model, only the presence of IgA PCD was associated with an increased prevalence of vitamin B12 deficiency (P = 0.003). CONCLUSIONS. Vitamin B12 deficiency was prevalent in patients with PCD, especially in patients with the IgA subtype. Serum vitamin B12 measurements should be part of the initial evaluation and subsequent workups for anemia in patients with PCD.",
keywords = "Immunoglobulin A, Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance, Multiple myeloma, Plasma cell dyscrasia, Vitamin 812",
author = "Rachid Baz and Carlos Alemany and Ralph Green and Hussein, {Mohamad A.}",
year = "2004",
month = "8",
day = "15",
doi = "10.1002/cncr.20441",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "101",
pages = "790--795",
journal = "Cancer",
issn = "0008-543X",
publisher = "John Wiley and Sons Inc.",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Prevalence of vitamin B12 deficiency in patients with plasma cell dyscrasias

T2 - A retrospective review

AU - Baz, Rachid

AU - Alemany, Carlos

AU - Green, Ralph

AU - Hussein, Mohamad A.

PY - 2004/8/15

Y1 - 2004/8/15

N2 - BACKGROUND. To the authors' knowledge, the prevalence of vitamin B12 deficiency among patients with plasma cell dyscrasias (PCD) is largely unknown. Identifying this vitamin deficiency in such patients could help improve their anemia and increase their tolerance to potentially neurotoxic agents. METHODS. The authors retrospectively reviewed the charts and laboratory results of 664 consecutive patients diagnosed with PCD who had their vitamin B12 and folate status evaluated between 1997 and 2001 at the Cleveland Clinic Multiple Myeloma Research Program (Cleveland, OH). The patients were screened for vitamin B12 deficiency using serum vitamin B12 and methylmalonic acid. RESULTS. Of the 664 patients whose medical charts were reviewed, information on vitamin B12 status was available for 522 patients (78%). Among these 522 patients, 71 (13.6%) had laboratory-defined vitamin B12 deficiency and the remaining 451 patients (86.4%) did not. On univarlate analysis, vitamin B12 deficiency correlated with immunoglobulin A (IgA) PCD (P = 0.04), higher mean corpuscular volume (P = 0.008), and longer follow-up (P = 0.048). In a covariate adjusted model, only the presence of IgA PCD was associated with an increased prevalence of vitamin B12 deficiency (P = 0.003). CONCLUSIONS. Vitamin B12 deficiency was prevalent in patients with PCD, especially in patients with the IgA subtype. Serum vitamin B12 measurements should be part of the initial evaluation and subsequent workups for anemia in patients with PCD.

AB - BACKGROUND. To the authors' knowledge, the prevalence of vitamin B12 deficiency among patients with plasma cell dyscrasias (PCD) is largely unknown. Identifying this vitamin deficiency in such patients could help improve their anemia and increase their tolerance to potentially neurotoxic agents. METHODS. The authors retrospectively reviewed the charts and laboratory results of 664 consecutive patients diagnosed with PCD who had their vitamin B12 and folate status evaluated between 1997 and 2001 at the Cleveland Clinic Multiple Myeloma Research Program (Cleveland, OH). The patients were screened for vitamin B12 deficiency using serum vitamin B12 and methylmalonic acid. RESULTS. Of the 664 patients whose medical charts were reviewed, information on vitamin B12 status was available for 522 patients (78%). Among these 522 patients, 71 (13.6%) had laboratory-defined vitamin B12 deficiency and the remaining 451 patients (86.4%) did not. On univarlate analysis, vitamin B12 deficiency correlated with immunoglobulin A (IgA) PCD (P = 0.04), higher mean corpuscular volume (P = 0.008), and longer follow-up (P = 0.048). In a covariate adjusted model, only the presence of IgA PCD was associated with an increased prevalence of vitamin B12 deficiency (P = 0.003). CONCLUSIONS. Vitamin B12 deficiency was prevalent in patients with PCD, especially in patients with the IgA subtype. Serum vitamin B12 measurements should be part of the initial evaluation and subsequent workups for anemia in patients with PCD.

KW - Immunoglobulin A

KW - Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance

KW - Multiple myeloma

KW - Plasma cell dyscrasia

KW - Vitamin 812

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=3543093242&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=3543093242&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1002/cncr.20441

DO - 10.1002/cncr.20441

M3 - Article

C2 - 15305411

AN - SCOPUS:3543093242

VL - 101

SP - 790

EP - 795

JO - Cancer

JF - Cancer

SN - 0008-543X

IS - 4

ER -