Moderate exercise training and low-energy diets are associated with small changes in indices of platelet aggregation and blood coagulation in overweight women

Betty Jane Burri, Marta Van Loan, Nancy L. Keim

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Because starvation or exhaustive exercise can significantly modify indices of platelet aggregation and blood coagulation, we investigated whether exercise training and energy restriction for weight-loss diets could also affect these indices. Ten healthy overweight women participated in an exercise program that gave an energy deficit of 15% for 98 days. Five women also ate 50% less food, giving them an overall energy deficit of 65%. Their diet contained > 100% of the recommended dietary allowance of all nutrients except energy. There were significant differences with time on the study (possibly caused by exercise training) for red blood cell, white blood cell, and platelet counts as well as activated partial thromboplastin times (APTT) and platelet aggregation induced by collagen. Prothrombin time (PT) showed significant differences between groups, presumably caused by differences in energy intake. However, the changes caused by moderate exercise training and energy restriction diets are mild and probably have little physiological significance.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1451-1458
Number of pages8
JournalNutrition Research
Volume16
Issue number9
DOIs
StatePublished - Sep 1996
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Blood Coagulation
Platelet Aggregation
Exercise
Diet
Reducing Diet
Recommended Dietary Allowances
Food
Partial Thromboplastin Time
Prothrombin Time
Starvation
Energy Intake
Platelet Count
Leukocyte Count
Collagen
Erythrocytes

Keywords

  • Blood coagulation
  • energy restriction
  • exercise training
  • human
  • platelet aggregation

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Endocrinology
  • Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism

Cite this

Moderate exercise training and low-energy diets are associated with small changes in indices of platelet aggregation and blood coagulation in overweight women. / Burri, Betty Jane; Van Loan, Marta; Keim, Nancy L.

In: Nutrition Research, Vol. 16, No. 9, 09.1996, p. 1451-1458.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{d1fb92bf26bc491ba09d59d77649d7e1,
title = "Moderate exercise training and low-energy diets are associated with small changes in indices of platelet aggregation and blood coagulation in overweight women",
abstract = "Because starvation or exhaustive exercise can significantly modify indices of platelet aggregation and blood coagulation, we investigated whether exercise training and energy restriction for weight-loss diets could also affect these indices. Ten healthy overweight women participated in an exercise program that gave an energy deficit of 15{\%} for 98 days. Five women also ate 50{\%} less food, giving them an overall energy deficit of 65{\%}. Their diet contained > 100{\%} of the recommended dietary allowance of all nutrients except energy. There were significant differences with time on the study (possibly caused by exercise training) for red blood cell, white blood cell, and platelet counts as well as activated partial thromboplastin times (APTT) and platelet aggregation induced by collagen. Prothrombin time (PT) showed significant differences between groups, presumably caused by differences in energy intake. However, the changes caused by moderate exercise training and energy restriction diets are mild and probably have little physiological significance.",
keywords = "Blood coagulation, energy restriction, exercise training, human, platelet aggregation",
author = "Burri, {Betty Jane} and {Van Loan}, Marta and Keim, {Nancy L.}",
year = "1996",
month = "9",
doi = "10.1016/0271-5317(96)00157-1",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "16",
pages = "1451--1458",
journal = "Nutrition Research",
issn = "0271-5317",
publisher = "Elsevier Inc.",
number = "9",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Moderate exercise training and low-energy diets are associated with small changes in indices of platelet aggregation and blood coagulation in overweight women

AU - Burri, Betty Jane

AU - Van Loan, Marta

AU - Keim, Nancy L.

PY - 1996/9

Y1 - 1996/9

N2 - Because starvation or exhaustive exercise can significantly modify indices of platelet aggregation and blood coagulation, we investigated whether exercise training and energy restriction for weight-loss diets could also affect these indices. Ten healthy overweight women participated in an exercise program that gave an energy deficit of 15% for 98 days. Five women also ate 50% less food, giving them an overall energy deficit of 65%. Their diet contained > 100% of the recommended dietary allowance of all nutrients except energy. There were significant differences with time on the study (possibly caused by exercise training) for red blood cell, white blood cell, and platelet counts as well as activated partial thromboplastin times (APTT) and platelet aggregation induced by collagen. Prothrombin time (PT) showed significant differences between groups, presumably caused by differences in energy intake. However, the changes caused by moderate exercise training and energy restriction diets are mild and probably have little physiological significance.

AB - Because starvation or exhaustive exercise can significantly modify indices of platelet aggregation and blood coagulation, we investigated whether exercise training and energy restriction for weight-loss diets could also affect these indices. Ten healthy overweight women participated in an exercise program that gave an energy deficit of 15% for 98 days. Five women also ate 50% less food, giving them an overall energy deficit of 65%. Their diet contained > 100% of the recommended dietary allowance of all nutrients except energy. There were significant differences with time on the study (possibly caused by exercise training) for red blood cell, white blood cell, and platelet counts as well as activated partial thromboplastin times (APTT) and platelet aggregation induced by collagen. Prothrombin time (PT) showed significant differences between groups, presumably caused by differences in energy intake. However, the changes caused by moderate exercise training and energy restriction diets are mild and probably have little physiological significance.

KW - Blood coagulation

KW - energy restriction

KW - exercise training

KW - human

KW - platelet aggregation

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0030248997&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0030248997&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/0271-5317(96)00157-1

DO - 10.1016/0271-5317(96)00157-1

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:0030248997

VL - 16

SP - 1451

EP - 1458

JO - Nutrition Research

JF - Nutrition Research

SN - 0271-5317

IS - 9

ER -