Late consolidative radiation therapy in the treatment of limited-stage small cell lung cancer

R. W. Carlson, B. I. Sikic, David R Gandara, C. G. Hendrickson, P. S. Wittlinger, J. A. Shields, P. P. Wong, J. E. White, C. J. Meakin, K. M. McWhirter, K. R. Lamborn, T. L. Phillips

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

27 Scopus citations

Abstract

Two hundred twenty-three patients were enrolled on this randomized Phase III trial testing the value of late consolidative involved-field radiation therapy in the treatment of limited-stage small cell lung cancer (SCLC). Patients were treated with induction chemotherapy consisting of alternating cycles of procarbazine, vincristine, lomustine, and cyclophosphamide (POCC) and etoposide, doxorubicin, and methotrexate (VAM) for 6 to 9 months. Responding patients were then randomized at 6 or 9 months to chemotherapy alone or to involved-field radiation therapy. All partial and complete responders received prophylactic cranial irradiation. Of the 180 eligible and evaluable patients, 80 (44%) achieved a complete response and 39 (22%) achieved a partial response (overall rate of response, 66%). Actuarial median survival time was 11.6 months, with 16% of patients surviving 2 years and 11% surviving 5 years. Forty-eight patients were randomized to chemotherapy alone (24 patients) versus chemotherapy plus involved-field radiation therapy (24 patients). There were no significant differences in time to progression or survival between those patients receiving or not receiving involved-field radiation therapy. The thorax was the site of first relapse in 58% of patients randomized to chemotherapy alone versus 29% in patients randomized to chemotherapy plus involved-field radiation therapy (P equals 0.042). The major acute toxicity was reversible myelosuppression, and the major late toxicity was chronic central nervous system dysfunction. The authors conclude that the addition of late consolidative radiation therapy to induction chemotherapy in the treatment of limited-stage SCLC is well tolerated and improves local control, but does not improve time to progression or rates of survival.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)948-958
Number of pages11
JournalCancer
Volume68
Issue number5
DOIs
StatePublished - 1991

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Oncology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Late consolidative radiation therapy in the treatment of limited-stage small cell lung cancer'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this

    Carlson, R. W., Sikic, B. I., Gandara, D. R., Hendrickson, C. G., Wittlinger, P. S., Shields, J. A., Wong, P. P., White, J. E., Meakin, C. J., McWhirter, K. M., Lamborn, K. R., & Phillips, T. L. (1991). Late consolidative radiation therapy in the treatment of limited-stage small cell lung cancer. Cancer, 68(5), 948-958. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19910901)68:5<948::AID-CNCR2820680507>3.0.CO;2-1