Ketoprofen plaster toxicity induced gastrointestinal hemorrhage in a dog

Hyung Jin Park, Joon Hyuk Choi, Woo Nam Lee, Kun Ho Song, Kyoung Won Seo

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

A 14 year-old Shih-tzu was referred to the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital of Chungnam National University with a history of foreign body ingestion and vomiting. The vomitus contained ketoprofen plaster, which is used for orthopedic analgesia in humans. Supportive care and gastrointestinal (GI) protective agents were administered, including famotidine, misoprostol, sucralfate, omeprazole, and fluid therapy. However, the clinical signs worsened, and anemia, melena, leukocytosis, and azotemia developed. The patient was diagnosed with GI hemorrhage and underwent a whole blood transfusion followed by barium sulfate administration. After administering barium sulfate as a GI protectant, the clinical signs improved, and the patient was discharged.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)220-222
Number of pages3
JournalJournal of Veterinary Clinics
Volume31
Issue number3
StatePublished - Jan 1 2014
Externally publishedYes

Keywords

  • Barium sulfate
  • Ketoprofen plaster
  • NSAID toxicity

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • veterinary(all)

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Ketoprofen plaster toxicity induced gastrointestinal hemorrhage in a dog'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this

    Park, H. J., Choi, J. H., Lee, W. N., Song, K. H., & Seo, K. W. (2014). Ketoprofen plaster toxicity induced gastrointestinal hemorrhage in a dog. Journal of Veterinary Clinics, 31(3), 220-222.