Infection studies in kittens, using feline infectious peritonitis virus propagated in cell culture.

N. C. Pedersen, J. F. Boyle, K. Floyd

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

64 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The propagation of feline infectious peritonitis virus (NW1-FIPV strain) in cell culture is described. Tissue culture-propagated virus was used to inoculate specific-pathogen-free kittens intraperitoneally, intratracheally, or orally. Intraperitoneal inoculation caused seroconversion and effusive peritonitis in 100% of the kittens. Intratracheal inoculation produced disease in 60% of the kittens, and oral inoculation in only 20%. Seroconversions without production of disease occurred in 10% of the kittens inoculated by either the intratracheal or the oral route. The remainder of the kittens inoculated by the intratracheal (30%) and oral (70%) routes did not develop serum antibodies or disease.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)363-367
Number of pages5
JournalAmerican Journal of Veterinary Research
Volume42
Issue number3
StatePublished - Mar 1981

Fingerprint

Feline Coronavirus
Feline coronavirus
kittens
cell culture
Cell Culture Techniques
Infection
infection
Specific Pathogen-Free Organisms
seroconversion
mouth
Peritonitis
peritonitis
Viruses
Antibodies
oral administration
tissue culture
Serum
viruses
antibodies
pathogens

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • veterinary(all)

Cite this

Infection studies in kittens, using feline infectious peritonitis virus propagated in cell culture. / Pedersen, N. C.; Boyle, J. F.; Floyd, K.

In: American Journal of Veterinary Research, Vol. 42, No. 3, 03.1981, p. 363-367.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{5a05eb5ed47d41318ee31d81adcaa80d,
title = "Infection studies in kittens, using feline infectious peritonitis virus propagated in cell culture.",
abstract = "The propagation of feline infectious peritonitis virus (NW1-FIPV strain) in cell culture is described. Tissue culture-propagated virus was used to inoculate specific-pathogen-free kittens intraperitoneally, intratracheally, or orally. Intraperitoneal inoculation caused seroconversion and effusive peritonitis in 100{\%} of the kittens. Intratracheal inoculation produced disease in 60{\%} of the kittens, and oral inoculation in only 20{\%}. Seroconversions without production of disease occurred in 10{\%} of the kittens inoculated by either the intratracheal or the oral route. The remainder of the kittens inoculated by the intratracheal (30{\%}) and oral (70{\%}) routes did not develop serum antibodies or disease.",
author = "Pedersen, {N. C.} and Boyle, {J. F.} and K. Floyd",
year = "1981",
month = "3",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "42",
pages = "363--367",
journal = "American Journal of Veterinary Research",
issn = "0002-9645",
publisher = "American Veterinary Medical Association",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Infection studies in kittens, using feline infectious peritonitis virus propagated in cell culture.

AU - Pedersen, N. C.

AU - Boyle, J. F.

AU - Floyd, K.

PY - 1981/3

Y1 - 1981/3

N2 - The propagation of feline infectious peritonitis virus (NW1-FIPV strain) in cell culture is described. Tissue culture-propagated virus was used to inoculate specific-pathogen-free kittens intraperitoneally, intratracheally, or orally. Intraperitoneal inoculation caused seroconversion and effusive peritonitis in 100% of the kittens. Intratracheal inoculation produced disease in 60% of the kittens, and oral inoculation in only 20%. Seroconversions without production of disease occurred in 10% of the kittens inoculated by either the intratracheal or the oral route. The remainder of the kittens inoculated by the intratracheal (30%) and oral (70%) routes did not develop serum antibodies or disease.

AB - The propagation of feline infectious peritonitis virus (NW1-FIPV strain) in cell culture is described. Tissue culture-propagated virus was used to inoculate specific-pathogen-free kittens intraperitoneally, intratracheally, or orally. Intraperitoneal inoculation caused seroconversion and effusive peritonitis in 100% of the kittens. Intratracheal inoculation produced disease in 60% of the kittens, and oral inoculation in only 20%. Seroconversions without production of disease occurred in 10% of the kittens inoculated by either the intratracheal or the oral route. The remainder of the kittens inoculated by the intratracheal (30%) and oral (70%) routes did not develop serum antibodies or disease.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0019538499&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0019538499&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 6267959

AN - SCOPUS:0019538499

VL - 42

SP - 363

EP - 367

JO - American Journal of Veterinary Research

JF - American Journal of Veterinary Research

SN - 0002-9645

IS - 3

ER -