Genetic diversity of borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato isolates from Northeastern China

Chen Yi Chu, Bao Gui Jiang, Jing He, Yan Gao, Pan He Zhang, Xiao Ming Wu, Wen Yi Zhang, Hua Shi, Ha Sen Gaowa, Jian Bo Wang, Janet E Foley, Wei Liu, Wu Chun Cao

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

8 Scopus citations

Abstract

Thirty-two strains of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato were isolated from Ixodes persulcatus ticks collected from northeastern China from May to June in 2004 and 2005. Restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) analysis and sequence analysis of 5S-23S rRNA intergenic spacer revealed that 29 (90.6%) belonged to Borrelia garinii, demonstrating B, C, and a unique pattern. The remaining three isolates (9.4%) were Borrelia afzelii with pattern D. The phylogenetic analysis based on 5S-23S rRNA intergenic spacer showed that B. garinii and B. afzelii genospecies clustered into two separate lineages. B. garinii strains were classified into three different branches: All the strains with RFLP pattern C were in the same branch, strain VH10 with a unique RFLP pattern clustered with strains VH9 and MDH2 with pattern B, and the rest of the strains with pattern B constitute another branch. These findings demonstrate the genetic diversity of B. burgdorferi sensu lato isolates from northeastern China.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)877-882
Number of pages6
JournalVector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases
Volume11
Issue number7
DOIs
StatePublished - Jul 1 2011

Keywords

  • Borrelia burgdorferi sensulato
  • Diversity
  • Genospecies

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Infectious Diseases
  • Microbiology
  • Virology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Genetic diversity of borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato isolates from Northeastern China'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this