Diagnosis of anatoxin-a poisoning in dogs from North America

Birgit Puschner, Brent Hoff, Elizabeth R. Tor

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

57 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Anatoxin-a, a toxin produced by several genera of blue-green algae, is considered a potent neurotoxin. Ingestion of water contaminated with the toxin results in acute neurological signs and often death. This report describes fatal cases of anatoxin-a ingestion in 6 dogs, with confirmation of anatoxin-a exposure by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS/MS). In 1 outbreak, 3 dogs developed seizures and died within an hour after swimming in a river in California, while the other outbreak involved 3 dogs that died within 1 hour after swimming in a pond in Ontario. Anatoxin-a poisoning is rarely reported in dogs as a cause of acute neurological signs and death. However, increased occurrences of blue-green algae blooms in North America make this neurotoxin an important consideration in the diagnosis of sudden death associated with environmental water exposure. This brief communication reports on the isolation and detection of anatoxin-a from environmental water sources and the stomach contents of North American dogs dying of acute neurotoxicosis. This demonstrates the first documented cases of anatoxin-a poisoning in dogs in North America and the importance of LC-MS/MS/MS in identifying neurotoxins responsible for sudden death in cases of suspected blue-green algae toxicosis; especially those cases showing no gross or histological lesions.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)89-92
Number of pages4
JournalJournal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation
Volume20
Issue number1
StatePublished - Jan 1 2008

Fingerprint

anatoxins
North America
Poisoning
poisoning
Dogs
neurotoxins
dogs
Neurotoxins
Cyanobacteria
death
Sudden Death
Disease Outbreaks
Water
toxins
Eating
ingestion
Gastrointestinal Contents
water
Environmental Exposure
Ontario

Keywords

  • Anatoxin-a
  • Blue-green algae
  • Cyanobacteria
  • Dogs
  • Liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry
  • Neurotoxic
  • Toxicosis

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • veterinary(all)

Cite this

Diagnosis of anatoxin-a poisoning in dogs from North America. / Puschner, Birgit; Hoff, Brent; Tor, Elizabeth R.

In: Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, Vol. 20, No. 1, 01.01.2008, p. 89-92.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{bf124b44e1cc4e6cb498d6ee5c1c30e1,
title = "Diagnosis of anatoxin-a poisoning in dogs from North America",
abstract = "Anatoxin-a, a toxin produced by several genera of blue-green algae, is considered a potent neurotoxin. Ingestion of water contaminated with the toxin results in acute neurological signs and often death. This report describes fatal cases of anatoxin-a ingestion in 6 dogs, with confirmation of anatoxin-a exposure by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS/MS). In 1 outbreak, 3 dogs developed seizures and died within an hour after swimming in a river in California, while the other outbreak involved 3 dogs that died within 1 hour after swimming in a pond in Ontario. Anatoxin-a poisoning is rarely reported in dogs as a cause of acute neurological signs and death. However, increased occurrences of blue-green algae blooms in North America make this neurotoxin an important consideration in the diagnosis of sudden death associated with environmental water exposure. This brief communication reports on the isolation and detection of anatoxin-a from environmental water sources and the stomach contents of North American dogs dying of acute neurotoxicosis. This demonstrates the first documented cases of anatoxin-a poisoning in dogs in North America and the importance of LC-MS/MS/MS in identifying neurotoxins responsible for sudden death in cases of suspected blue-green algae toxicosis; especially those cases showing no gross or histological lesions.",
keywords = "Anatoxin-a, Blue-green algae, Cyanobacteria, Dogs, Liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry, Neurotoxic, Toxicosis",
author = "Birgit Puschner and Brent Hoff and Tor, {Elizabeth R.}",
year = "2008",
month = "1",
day = "1",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "20",
pages = "89--92",
journal = "Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation",
issn = "1040-6387",
publisher = "American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Diagnosis of anatoxin-a poisoning in dogs from North America

AU - Puschner, Birgit

AU - Hoff, Brent

AU - Tor, Elizabeth R.

PY - 2008/1/1

Y1 - 2008/1/1

N2 - Anatoxin-a, a toxin produced by several genera of blue-green algae, is considered a potent neurotoxin. Ingestion of water contaminated with the toxin results in acute neurological signs and often death. This report describes fatal cases of anatoxin-a ingestion in 6 dogs, with confirmation of anatoxin-a exposure by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS/MS). In 1 outbreak, 3 dogs developed seizures and died within an hour after swimming in a river in California, while the other outbreak involved 3 dogs that died within 1 hour after swimming in a pond in Ontario. Anatoxin-a poisoning is rarely reported in dogs as a cause of acute neurological signs and death. However, increased occurrences of blue-green algae blooms in North America make this neurotoxin an important consideration in the diagnosis of sudden death associated with environmental water exposure. This brief communication reports on the isolation and detection of anatoxin-a from environmental water sources and the stomach contents of North American dogs dying of acute neurotoxicosis. This demonstrates the first documented cases of anatoxin-a poisoning in dogs in North America and the importance of LC-MS/MS/MS in identifying neurotoxins responsible for sudden death in cases of suspected blue-green algae toxicosis; especially those cases showing no gross or histological lesions.

AB - Anatoxin-a, a toxin produced by several genera of blue-green algae, is considered a potent neurotoxin. Ingestion of water contaminated with the toxin results in acute neurological signs and often death. This report describes fatal cases of anatoxin-a ingestion in 6 dogs, with confirmation of anatoxin-a exposure by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS/MS). In 1 outbreak, 3 dogs developed seizures and died within an hour after swimming in a river in California, while the other outbreak involved 3 dogs that died within 1 hour after swimming in a pond in Ontario. Anatoxin-a poisoning is rarely reported in dogs as a cause of acute neurological signs and death. However, increased occurrences of blue-green algae blooms in North America make this neurotoxin an important consideration in the diagnosis of sudden death associated with environmental water exposure. This brief communication reports on the isolation and detection of anatoxin-a from environmental water sources and the stomach contents of North American dogs dying of acute neurotoxicosis. This demonstrates the first documented cases of anatoxin-a poisoning in dogs in North America and the importance of LC-MS/MS/MS in identifying neurotoxins responsible for sudden death in cases of suspected blue-green algae toxicosis; especially those cases showing no gross or histological lesions.

KW - Anatoxin-a

KW - Blue-green algae

KW - Cyanobacteria

KW - Dogs

KW - Liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry

KW - Neurotoxic

KW - Toxicosis

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=54049131769&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=54049131769&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 18182518

AN - SCOPUS:54049131769

VL - 20

SP - 89

EP - 92

JO - Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation

JF - Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation

SN - 1040-6387

IS - 1

ER -