Delayed treatment of dysbarism. A retrospective review of 50 cases

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

38 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Fifty cases of decompression sickness are reviewed in which recompression treatment was delayed for 12 hours or longer after the onset of dysbaric symptoms. Twenty-four patients (48%) had pain only. The other 26 patients (52%) had more serious decompression sickness; 2 patients may have had air embolisms. Ninety percent of the patients recovered either completely (66%) or substantially (24%) with recompression and associated treatment, although standard recompression protocols had to be lengthened in many of the cases.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)2555-2558
Number of pages4
JournalJournal of the American Medical Association
Volume247
Issue number18
DOIs
StatePublished - 1982
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Decompression Sickness
Air Embolism
Therapeutics
Pain

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)

Cite this

Delayed treatment of dysbarism. A retrospective review of 50 cases. / Kizer, Kenneth W.

In: Journal of the American Medical Association, Vol. 247, No. 18, 1982, p. 2555-2558.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{0c98848216ee4ef8b4c41a1f3110ea88,
title = "Delayed treatment of dysbarism. A retrospective review of 50 cases",
abstract = "Fifty cases of decompression sickness are reviewed in which recompression treatment was delayed for 12 hours or longer after the onset of dysbaric symptoms. Twenty-four patients (48{\%}) had pain only. The other 26 patients (52{\%}) had more serious decompression sickness; 2 patients may have had air embolisms. Ninety percent of the patients recovered either completely (66{\%}) or substantially (24{\%}) with recompression and associated treatment, although standard recompression protocols had to be lengthened in many of the cases.",
author = "Kizer, {Kenneth W}",
year = "1982",
doi = "10.1001/jama.247.18.2555",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "247",
pages = "2555--2558",
journal = "JAMA - Journal of the American Medical Association",
issn = "0002-9955",
publisher = "American Medical Association",
number = "18",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Delayed treatment of dysbarism. A retrospective review of 50 cases

AU - Kizer, Kenneth W

PY - 1982

Y1 - 1982

N2 - Fifty cases of decompression sickness are reviewed in which recompression treatment was delayed for 12 hours or longer after the onset of dysbaric symptoms. Twenty-four patients (48%) had pain only. The other 26 patients (52%) had more serious decompression sickness; 2 patients may have had air embolisms. Ninety percent of the patients recovered either completely (66%) or substantially (24%) with recompression and associated treatment, although standard recompression protocols had to be lengthened in many of the cases.

AB - Fifty cases of decompression sickness are reviewed in which recompression treatment was delayed for 12 hours or longer after the onset of dysbaric symptoms. Twenty-four patients (48%) had pain only. The other 26 patients (52%) had more serious decompression sickness; 2 patients may have had air embolisms. Ninety percent of the patients recovered either completely (66%) or substantially (24%) with recompression and associated treatment, although standard recompression protocols had to be lengthened in many of the cases.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0020036194&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0020036194&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1001/jama.247.18.2555

DO - 10.1001/jama.247.18.2555

M3 - Article

C2 - 7069921

AN - SCOPUS:0020036194

VL - 247

SP - 2555

EP - 2558

JO - JAMA - Journal of the American Medical Association

JF - JAMA - Journal of the American Medical Association

SN - 0002-9955

IS - 18

ER -