Decrease of 12-hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid production in mouse lungs following dietary oleic anilide consumption

Implications for the toxic oil syndrome

S. H. Yoshida, B. A. Bruenner, J. B. German, M. Eric Gershwin

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

2 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

A study was performed to examine the ability of dietary oleic anilide to alter 12-hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid (12-HETE) production. The structure of oleic anilide, synthesized by reacting oleic acid with aniline, was confirmed by mass spectrometry. The purity of oleic anilide, 75%, was measured by gas chromatography. Oleic acid, which constituted the remaining 25%, is a major component of the rapeseed oil vehicle. Balb/c mice were fed oleic anilide as 0.75% of their diet by weight for three weeks. Their lungs were excised and examined for 12-HETE production in vitro. The 12-HETE levels were significantly (p<0.01) lower in mice fed oleic anilide than in mice fed the oleic acid control diet. This result illustrates eicosanoid production as a target of fatty acid anilide toxicity. The fatty acid composition, including arachidonic acid, of mouse lungs from both dietary groups was not different. This confirms the availability of substrate for 12-lipoxygenase in both groups. Spleen weights were higher in mice fed oleic anilide than in control mice (p<0.005). These observations are relevant to immunoregulation and the autoimmune syndromes noted in patients of the Toxic Oil Syndrome (TOS).

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)524-528
Number of pages5
JournalArchives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology
Volume28
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - May 1995

Fingerprint

Anilides
Hydroxyeicosatetraenoic Acids
Poisons
Oleic acid
Oils
Lung
Acids
oil
acid
Nutrition
Fatty acids
Oleic Acid
Aniline
Gas chromatography
Fatty Acids
fatty acid
Mass spectrometry
Toxicity
Arachidonate 12-Lipoxygenase
diet

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Toxicology
  • Environmental Chemistry
  • Environmental Science(all)

Cite this

@article{361cbbe0641a44a59a6a5c9651248bcb,
title = "Decrease of 12-hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid production in mouse lungs following dietary oleic anilide consumption: Implications for the toxic oil syndrome",
abstract = "A study was performed to examine the ability of dietary oleic anilide to alter 12-hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid (12-HETE) production. The structure of oleic anilide, synthesized by reacting oleic acid with aniline, was confirmed by mass spectrometry. The purity of oleic anilide, 75{\%}, was measured by gas chromatography. Oleic acid, which constituted the remaining 25{\%}, is a major component of the rapeseed oil vehicle. Balb/c mice were fed oleic anilide as 0.75{\%} of their diet by weight for three weeks. Their lungs were excised and examined for 12-HETE production in vitro. The 12-HETE levels were significantly (p<0.01) lower in mice fed oleic anilide than in mice fed the oleic acid control diet. This result illustrates eicosanoid production as a target of fatty acid anilide toxicity. The fatty acid composition, including arachidonic acid, of mouse lungs from both dietary groups was not different. This confirms the availability of substrate for 12-lipoxygenase in both groups. Spleen weights were higher in mice fed oleic anilide than in control mice (p<0.005). These observations are relevant to immunoregulation and the autoimmune syndromes noted in patients of the Toxic Oil Syndrome (TOS).",
author = "Yoshida, {S. H.} and Bruenner, {B. A.} and German, {J. B.} and Gershwin, {M. Eric}",
year = "1995",
month = "5",
doi = "10.1007/BF00211637",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "28",
pages = "524--528",
journal = "Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology",
issn = "0090-4341",
publisher = "Springer New York",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Decrease of 12-hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid production in mouse lungs following dietary oleic anilide consumption

T2 - Implications for the toxic oil syndrome

AU - Yoshida, S. H.

AU - Bruenner, B. A.

AU - German, J. B.

AU - Gershwin, M. Eric

PY - 1995/5

Y1 - 1995/5

N2 - A study was performed to examine the ability of dietary oleic anilide to alter 12-hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid (12-HETE) production. The structure of oleic anilide, synthesized by reacting oleic acid with aniline, was confirmed by mass spectrometry. The purity of oleic anilide, 75%, was measured by gas chromatography. Oleic acid, which constituted the remaining 25%, is a major component of the rapeseed oil vehicle. Balb/c mice were fed oleic anilide as 0.75% of their diet by weight for three weeks. Their lungs were excised and examined for 12-HETE production in vitro. The 12-HETE levels were significantly (p<0.01) lower in mice fed oleic anilide than in mice fed the oleic acid control diet. This result illustrates eicosanoid production as a target of fatty acid anilide toxicity. The fatty acid composition, including arachidonic acid, of mouse lungs from both dietary groups was not different. This confirms the availability of substrate for 12-lipoxygenase in both groups. Spleen weights were higher in mice fed oleic anilide than in control mice (p<0.005). These observations are relevant to immunoregulation and the autoimmune syndromes noted in patients of the Toxic Oil Syndrome (TOS).

AB - A study was performed to examine the ability of dietary oleic anilide to alter 12-hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid (12-HETE) production. The structure of oleic anilide, synthesized by reacting oleic acid with aniline, was confirmed by mass spectrometry. The purity of oleic anilide, 75%, was measured by gas chromatography. Oleic acid, which constituted the remaining 25%, is a major component of the rapeseed oil vehicle. Balb/c mice were fed oleic anilide as 0.75% of their diet by weight for three weeks. Their lungs were excised and examined for 12-HETE production in vitro. The 12-HETE levels were significantly (p<0.01) lower in mice fed oleic anilide than in mice fed the oleic acid control diet. This result illustrates eicosanoid production as a target of fatty acid anilide toxicity. The fatty acid composition, including arachidonic acid, of mouse lungs from both dietary groups was not different. This confirms the availability of substrate for 12-lipoxygenase in both groups. Spleen weights were higher in mice fed oleic anilide than in control mice (p<0.005). These observations are relevant to immunoregulation and the autoimmune syndromes noted in patients of the Toxic Oil Syndrome (TOS).

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0028964765&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0028964765&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/BF00211637

DO - 10.1007/BF00211637

M3 - Article

VL - 28

SP - 524

EP - 528

JO - Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology

JF - Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology

SN - 0090-4341

IS - 4

ER -