CpG Island microarray probe sequences derived from a physical library are representative of CpG Islands annotated on the human genome

Lawrence E. Heisler, Dax Torti, Paul C. Boutros, John Watson, Charles Chan, Neil Winegarden, Mark Takahashi, Patrick Yau, Tim H M Huang, Peggy J. Farnham, Igor Jurisica, James R. Woodgett, Rod Bremner, Linda Z. Penn, Sandy D. Der

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

75 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

An effective tool for the global analysis of both DNA methylation status and protein-chromatin interactions is a microarray constructed with sequences containing regulatory elements. One type of array suited for this purpose takes advantage of the strong association between CpG Islands (CGIs) and gene regulatory regions. We have obtained 20 736 clones from a CGI Library and used these to construct CGI arrays. The utility of this library requires proper annotation and assessment of the clones, including CpG content, genomic origin and proximity to neighboring genes. Alignment of clone sequences to the human genome (UCSC hg17) identified 9595 distinct genomic loci; 64% were defined by a single clone while the remaining 36% were represented by multiple, redundant clones. Approximately 68% of the loci were located near a transcription start site. The distribution of these loci covered all 23 chromosomes, with 63% overlapping a bioinformatically identified CGI. The high representation of genomic CGI in this rich collection of clones supports the utilization of microarrays produced with this library for the study of global epigenetic mechanisms and protein-chromatin interactions. A browsable database is available on-line to facilitate exploration of the CGIs in this library and their association with annotated genes or promoter elements.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)2952-2961
Number of pages10
JournalNucleic Acids Research
Volume33
Issue number9
DOIs
StatePublished - 2005

Fingerprint

CpG Islands
Human Genome
Libraries
Clone Cells
Chromatin
Library Associations
Genes
Genomic Islands
Sequence Alignment
Nucleic Acid Regulatory Sequences
Transcription Initiation Site
DNA Methylation
Epigenomics
Proteins
Chromosomes
Databases

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Genetics

Cite this

Heisler, L. E., Torti, D., Boutros, P. C., Watson, J., Chan, C., Winegarden, N., ... Der, S. D. (2005). CpG Island microarray probe sequences derived from a physical library are representative of CpG Islands annotated on the human genome. Nucleic Acids Research, 33(9), 2952-2961. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gki582

CpG Island microarray probe sequences derived from a physical library are representative of CpG Islands annotated on the human genome. / Heisler, Lawrence E.; Torti, Dax; Boutros, Paul C.; Watson, John; Chan, Charles; Winegarden, Neil; Takahashi, Mark; Yau, Patrick; Huang, Tim H M; Farnham, Peggy J.; Jurisica, Igor; Woodgett, James R.; Bremner, Rod; Penn, Linda Z.; Der, Sandy D.

In: Nucleic Acids Research, Vol. 33, No. 9, 2005, p. 2952-2961.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Heisler, LE, Torti, D, Boutros, PC, Watson, J, Chan, C, Winegarden, N, Takahashi, M, Yau, P, Huang, THM, Farnham, PJ, Jurisica, I, Woodgett, JR, Bremner, R, Penn, LZ & Der, SD 2005, 'CpG Island microarray probe sequences derived from a physical library are representative of CpG Islands annotated on the human genome', Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 2952-2961. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gki582
Heisler, Lawrence E. ; Torti, Dax ; Boutros, Paul C. ; Watson, John ; Chan, Charles ; Winegarden, Neil ; Takahashi, Mark ; Yau, Patrick ; Huang, Tim H M ; Farnham, Peggy J. ; Jurisica, Igor ; Woodgett, James R. ; Bremner, Rod ; Penn, Linda Z. ; Der, Sandy D. / CpG Island microarray probe sequences derived from a physical library are representative of CpG Islands annotated on the human genome. In: Nucleic Acids Research. 2005 ; Vol. 33, No. 9. pp. 2952-2961.
@article{1e8943bfd6fd4a1cadc4023fe1f0d50c,
title = "CpG Island microarray probe sequences derived from a physical library are representative of CpG Islands annotated on the human genome",
abstract = "An effective tool for the global analysis of both DNA methylation status and protein-chromatin interactions is a microarray constructed with sequences containing regulatory elements. One type of array suited for this purpose takes advantage of the strong association between CpG Islands (CGIs) and gene regulatory regions. We have obtained 20 736 clones from a CGI Library and used these to construct CGI arrays. The utility of this library requires proper annotation and assessment of the clones, including CpG content, genomic origin and proximity to neighboring genes. Alignment of clone sequences to the human genome (UCSC hg17) identified 9595 distinct genomic loci; 64{\%} were defined by a single clone while the remaining 36{\%} were represented by multiple, redundant clones. Approximately 68{\%} of the loci were located near a transcription start site. The distribution of these loci covered all 23 chromosomes, with 63{\%} overlapping a bioinformatically identified CGI. The high representation of genomic CGI in this rich collection of clones supports the utilization of microarrays produced with this library for the study of global epigenetic mechanisms and protein-chromatin interactions. A browsable database is available on-line to facilitate exploration of the CGIs in this library and their association with annotated genes or promoter elements.",
author = "Heisler, {Lawrence E.} and Dax Torti and Boutros, {Paul C.} and John Watson and Charles Chan and Neil Winegarden and Mark Takahashi and Patrick Yau and Huang, {Tim H M} and Farnham, {Peggy J.} and Igor Jurisica and Woodgett, {James R.} and Rod Bremner and Penn, {Linda Z.} and Der, {Sandy D.}",
year = "2005",
doi = "10.1093/nar/gki582",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "33",
pages = "2952--2961",
journal = "Nucleic Acids Research",
issn = "0305-1048",
publisher = "Oxford University Press",
number = "9",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - CpG Island microarray probe sequences derived from a physical library are representative of CpG Islands annotated on the human genome

AU - Heisler, Lawrence E.

AU - Torti, Dax

AU - Boutros, Paul C.

AU - Watson, John

AU - Chan, Charles

AU - Winegarden, Neil

AU - Takahashi, Mark

AU - Yau, Patrick

AU - Huang, Tim H M

AU - Farnham, Peggy J.

AU - Jurisica, Igor

AU - Woodgett, James R.

AU - Bremner, Rod

AU - Penn, Linda Z.

AU - Der, Sandy D.

PY - 2005

Y1 - 2005

N2 - An effective tool for the global analysis of both DNA methylation status and protein-chromatin interactions is a microarray constructed with sequences containing regulatory elements. One type of array suited for this purpose takes advantage of the strong association between CpG Islands (CGIs) and gene regulatory regions. We have obtained 20 736 clones from a CGI Library and used these to construct CGI arrays. The utility of this library requires proper annotation and assessment of the clones, including CpG content, genomic origin and proximity to neighboring genes. Alignment of clone sequences to the human genome (UCSC hg17) identified 9595 distinct genomic loci; 64% were defined by a single clone while the remaining 36% were represented by multiple, redundant clones. Approximately 68% of the loci were located near a transcription start site. The distribution of these loci covered all 23 chromosomes, with 63% overlapping a bioinformatically identified CGI. The high representation of genomic CGI in this rich collection of clones supports the utilization of microarrays produced with this library for the study of global epigenetic mechanisms and protein-chromatin interactions. A browsable database is available on-line to facilitate exploration of the CGIs in this library and their association with annotated genes or promoter elements.

AB - An effective tool for the global analysis of both DNA methylation status and protein-chromatin interactions is a microarray constructed with sequences containing regulatory elements. One type of array suited for this purpose takes advantage of the strong association between CpG Islands (CGIs) and gene regulatory regions. We have obtained 20 736 clones from a CGI Library and used these to construct CGI arrays. The utility of this library requires proper annotation and assessment of the clones, including CpG content, genomic origin and proximity to neighboring genes. Alignment of clone sequences to the human genome (UCSC hg17) identified 9595 distinct genomic loci; 64% were defined by a single clone while the remaining 36% were represented by multiple, redundant clones. Approximately 68% of the loci were located near a transcription start site. The distribution of these loci covered all 23 chromosomes, with 63% overlapping a bioinformatically identified CGI. The high representation of genomic CGI in this rich collection of clones supports the utilization of microarrays produced with this library for the study of global epigenetic mechanisms and protein-chromatin interactions. A browsable database is available on-line to facilitate exploration of the CGIs in this library and their association with annotated genes or promoter elements.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=21144457070&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=21144457070&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1093/nar/gki582

DO - 10.1093/nar/gki582

M3 - Article

C2 - 15911630

AN - SCOPUS:21144457070

VL - 33

SP - 2952

EP - 2961

JO - Nucleic Acids Research

JF - Nucleic Acids Research

SN - 0305-1048

IS - 9

ER -