Comparaison entre les frottis directs et les cultures bactériologiques effectués à partir de prélèvements trachéaux chez l'espèce équine

Mylène Labonville, Robert Higgins, Jean Pierre Lavoie

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

3 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The aim of the study was to assess the relation between the direct smear observations and bacteriological results carried out on equine tracheal secretions. A total of 304 cases comprising both the direct smear (Gram stain) and the bacteriological culture, over a period of 8 years, were submitted to this retrospective study. Most of the specimens (78%) were obtained using tracheal washings while the rest (22%) originated from tracheal brushings. A total of 96 specimens (32%) were negative for both direct smear and culture. The positive predictive value of direct smears appeared high (81-96%) while the negative predictive value was lower (48-79%). Sensitivity of direct smear was considered as low and varied from 24 to 46% for tracheal brushings and from 41 to 46% for tracheal washings. Specificity of direct smear was high for both types of specimens. Results of this study indicate that the use of Gram-stained smear examination, carried out on tracheal secretions, is a technique which is specific but not very sensitive for the prediction of bacteriological culture results. Moreover, the use of tracheal washing, more than tracheal brushing, seems to increase the sensitivity of the test.

Original languageFrench
Pages (from-to)623-626
Number of pages4
JournalCanadian Veterinary Journal
Volume42
Issue number8
StatePublished - Dec 1 2001
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Bacteriological Techniques
Phenazines
phenazines
Predictive Value of Tests
Specimen Handling
Gentian Violet
gentian violet
Trachea
retrospective studies
washing
Horses
Retrospective Studies
horses
Sensitivity and Specificity
secretion
animals
type collections
prediction
Gram's stain
testing

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • veterinary(all)

Cite this

Comparaison entre les frottis directs et les cultures bactériologiques effectués à partir de prélèvements trachéaux chez l'espèce équine. / Labonville, Mylène; Higgins, Robert; Lavoie, Jean Pierre.

In: Canadian Veterinary Journal, Vol. 42, No. 8, 01.12.2001, p. 623-626.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{41a0c27972524a35af6ea943768a8754,
title = "Comparaison entre les frottis directs et les cultures bact{\'e}riologiques effectu{\'e}s {\`a} partir de pr{\'e}l{\`e}vements trach{\'e}aux chez l'esp{\`e}ce {\'e}quine",
abstract = "The aim of the study was to assess the relation between the direct smear observations and bacteriological results carried out on equine tracheal secretions. A total of 304 cases comprising both the direct smear (Gram stain) and the bacteriological culture, over a period of 8 years, were submitted to this retrospective study. Most of the specimens (78{\%}) were obtained using tracheal washings while the rest (22{\%}) originated from tracheal brushings. A total of 96 specimens (32{\%}) were negative for both direct smear and culture. The positive predictive value of direct smears appeared high (81-96{\%}) while the negative predictive value was lower (48-79{\%}). Sensitivity of direct smear was considered as low and varied from 24 to 46{\%} for tracheal brushings and from 41 to 46{\%} for tracheal washings. Specificity of direct smear was high for both types of specimens. Results of this study indicate that the use of Gram-stained smear examination, carried out on tracheal secretions, is a technique which is specific but not very sensitive for the prediction of bacteriological culture results. Moreover, the use of tracheal washing, more than tracheal brushing, seems to increase the sensitivity of the test.",
author = "Myl{\`e}ne Labonville and Robert Higgins and Lavoie, {Jean Pierre}",
year = "2001",
month = "12",
day = "1",
language = "French",
volume = "42",
pages = "623--626",
journal = "Canadian Veterinary Journal",
issn = "0008-5286",
publisher = "Canadian Veterinary Medical Association",
number = "8",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Comparaison entre les frottis directs et les cultures bactériologiques effectués à partir de prélèvements trachéaux chez l'espèce équine

AU - Labonville, Mylène

AU - Higgins, Robert

AU - Lavoie, Jean Pierre

PY - 2001/12/1

Y1 - 2001/12/1

N2 - The aim of the study was to assess the relation between the direct smear observations and bacteriological results carried out on equine tracheal secretions. A total of 304 cases comprising both the direct smear (Gram stain) and the bacteriological culture, over a period of 8 years, were submitted to this retrospective study. Most of the specimens (78%) were obtained using tracheal washings while the rest (22%) originated from tracheal brushings. A total of 96 specimens (32%) were negative for both direct smear and culture. The positive predictive value of direct smears appeared high (81-96%) while the negative predictive value was lower (48-79%). Sensitivity of direct smear was considered as low and varied from 24 to 46% for tracheal brushings and from 41 to 46% for tracheal washings. Specificity of direct smear was high for both types of specimens. Results of this study indicate that the use of Gram-stained smear examination, carried out on tracheal secretions, is a technique which is specific but not very sensitive for the prediction of bacteriological culture results. Moreover, the use of tracheal washing, more than tracheal brushing, seems to increase the sensitivity of the test.

AB - The aim of the study was to assess the relation between the direct smear observations and bacteriological results carried out on equine tracheal secretions. A total of 304 cases comprising both the direct smear (Gram stain) and the bacteriological culture, over a period of 8 years, were submitted to this retrospective study. Most of the specimens (78%) were obtained using tracheal washings while the rest (22%) originated from tracheal brushings. A total of 96 specimens (32%) were negative for both direct smear and culture. The positive predictive value of direct smears appeared high (81-96%) while the negative predictive value was lower (48-79%). Sensitivity of direct smear was considered as low and varied from 24 to 46% for tracheal brushings and from 41 to 46% for tracheal washings. Specificity of direct smear was high for both types of specimens. Results of this study indicate that the use of Gram-stained smear examination, carried out on tracheal secretions, is a technique which is specific but not very sensitive for the prediction of bacteriological culture results. Moreover, the use of tracheal washing, more than tracheal brushing, seems to increase the sensitivity of the test.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0042404881&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0042404881&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 11519272

AN - SCOPUS:0042404881

VL - 42

SP - 623

EP - 626

JO - Canadian Veterinary Journal

JF - Canadian Veterinary Journal

SN - 0008-5286

IS - 8

ER -