A commercial flea and tick product containing 9.0% fenvalerate for use in dogs and cats was suspected of causing illness. An acute toxicity study was performed in 10 dogs and 10 cats exposed to the product orally (po) and dermally at differing doses. Samples were obtained for DEET and fenvalerate analysis. Oral dosing of dogs and cats produced severe clinical illness at doses as low as 0.66% of a can (7 ounce spray can)/kg body weight. Dermal application of the product resulted in minor clinical abnormalities in dogs. Oral exposure at 0.5% can/kg body weight resulted in severe illness, and dermal application caused severe illness or death in cats at 20% and 40% of a can/kg body weight. The cats receiving 10% of a can/kg body weight dermally became depressed for several hours but recovered uneventfully. Serum DEET concentrations closely paralleled the clinical signs observed in the animals. Serum concentrations of DEET above 20 ppm were considered diagnostic for intoxication. Urine concentrations of DEET above 1 ppm and tissue (liver, bile, and kidney) concentrations of DEET above 10 ppm were supportive of poisoning; values near 100 ppm were diagnostic for fatal poisoning.
|Original language||English (US)|
|Number of pages||9|
|Journal||Veterinary and Human Toxicology|
|State||Published - Mar 4 1991|
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Health, Toxicology and Mutagenesis