Cholangiocarcinoma: Aggressive surgical intervention remains justified

Brendan Boland, Amanda Kim, Nicholas Nissen, Steven D Colquhoun

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

6 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Cholangiocarcinoma (CCA) continues to be a difficult disease to both diagnose and treat. Optimal treatment includes resection to histologically negative margins. In recent years, advanced imaging, including magnetic resonance cholangiography and endoscopic ultrasound, has presumably improved the accuracy of determining resectability. From 2004 to 2009, a total of 61 patients with cholangiocarcinoma were evaluated for resection. The majority were men (37) and ages ranged from 29 to 87 years (mean, 67 years). Only 31 per cent were found to be obviously unresectable based on imaging alone. The remaining 69 per cent underwent exploration, at which time resection was found unfeasible in an additional 25 per cent (overall 56% unresectable). Although all resection specimens had grossly negative margins, 37 per cent were ultimately found to be microscopically positive. The overall 5-year actuarial survival for patients undergoing resection was 39.2 per cent with no survival difference between those with positive and negative margins. Despite advances in diagnostic imaging, more than half of patients with CCA presenting for surgical evaluation are ultimately found to be unresectable. However, the final determination can still only be made at the time of exploration. Even in the presence of microscopic residual disease, surgical intervention results in improved survival. An aggressive stance toward surgical intervention in patients with CCA remains justified.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)157-160
Number of pages4
JournalAmerican Surgeon
Volume78
Issue number2
StatePublished - Feb 1 2012
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Cholangiocarcinoma
Survival
Cholangiography
Diagnostic Imaging
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Therapeutics

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery

Cite this

Cholangiocarcinoma : Aggressive surgical intervention remains justified. / Boland, Brendan; Kim, Amanda; Nissen, Nicholas; Colquhoun, Steven D.

In: American Surgeon, Vol. 78, No. 2, 01.02.2012, p. 157-160.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Boland, B, Kim, A, Nissen, N & Colquhoun, SD 2012, 'Cholangiocarcinoma: Aggressive surgical intervention remains justified', American Surgeon, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 157-160.
Boland, Brendan ; Kim, Amanda ; Nissen, Nicholas ; Colquhoun, Steven D. / Cholangiocarcinoma : Aggressive surgical intervention remains justified. In: American Surgeon. 2012 ; Vol. 78, No. 2. pp. 157-160.
@article{4153c91dcb98439c8b092c8e0bef5d81,
title = "Cholangiocarcinoma: Aggressive surgical intervention remains justified",
abstract = "Cholangiocarcinoma (CCA) continues to be a difficult disease to both diagnose and treat. Optimal treatment includes resection to histologically negative margins. In recent years, advanced imaging, including magnetic resonance cholangiography and endoscopic ultrasound, has presumably improved the accuracy of determining resectability. From 2004 to 2009, a total of 61 patients with cholangiocarcinoma were evaluated for resection. The majority were men (37) and ages ranged from 29 to 87 years (mean, 67 years). Only 31 per cent were found to be obviously unresectable based on imaging alone. The remaining 69 per cent underwent exploration, at which time resection was found unfeasible in an additional 25 per cent (overall 56{\%} unresectable). Although all resection specimens had grossly negative margins, 37 per cent were ultimately found to be microscopically positive. The overall 5-year actuarial survival for patients undergoing resection was 39.2 per cent with no survival difference between those with positive and negative margins. Despite advances in diagnostic imaging, more than half of patients with CCA presenting for surgical evaluation are ultimately found to be unresectable. However, the final determination can still only be made at the time of exploration. Even in the presence of microscopic residual disease, surgical intervention results in improved survival. An aggressive stance toward surgical intervention in patients with CCA remains justified.",
author = "Brendan Boland and Amanda Kim and Nicholas Nissen and Colquhoun, {Steven D}",
year = "2012",
month = "2",
day = "1",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "78",
pages = "157--160",
journal = "American Surgeon",
issn = "0003-1348",
publisher = "Southeastern Surgical Congress",
number = "2",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Cholangiocarcinoma

T2 - Aggressive surgical intervention remains justified

AU - Boland, Brendan

AU - Kim, Amanda

AU - Nissen, Nicholas

AU - Colquhoun, Steven D

PY - 2012/2/1

Y1 - 2012/2/1

N2 - Cholangiocarcinoma (CCA) continues to be a difficult disease to both diagnose and treat. Optimal treatment includes resection to histologically negative margins. In recent years, advanced imaging, including magnetic resonance cholangiography and endoscopic ultrasound, has presumably improved the accuracy of determining resectability. From 2004 to 2009, a total of 61 patients with cholangiocarcinoma were evaluated for resection. The majority were men (37) and ages ranged from 29 to 87 years (mean, 67 years). Only 31 per cent were found to be obviously unresectable based on imaging alone. The remaining 69 per cent underwent exploration, at which time resection was found unfeasible in an additional 25 per cent (overall 56% unresectable). Although all resection specimens had grossly negative margins, 37 per cent were ultimately found to be microscopically positive. The overall 5-year actuarial survival for patients undergoing resection was 39.2 per cent with no survival difference between those with positive and negative margins. Despite advances in diagnostic imaging, more than half of patients with CCA presenting for surgical evaluation are ultimately found to be unresectable. However, the final determination can still only be made at the time of exploration. Even in the presence of microscopic residual disease, surgical intervention results in improved survival. An aggressive stance toward surgical intervention in patients with CCA remains justified.

AB - Cholangiocarcinoma (CCA) continues to be a difficult disease to both diagnose and treat. Optimal treatment includes resection to histologically negative margins. In recent years, advanced imaging, including magnetic resonance cholangiography and endoscopic ultrasound, has presumably improved the accuracy of determining resectability. From 2004 to 2009, a total of 61 patients with cholangiocarcinoma were evaluated for resection. The majority were men (37) and ages ranged from 29 to 87 years (mean, 67 years). Only 31 per cent were found to be obviously unresectable based on imaging alone. The remaining 69 per cent underwent exploration, at which time resection was found unfeasible in an additional 25 per cent (overall 56% unresectable). Although all resection specimens had grossly negative margins, 37 per cent were ultimately found to be microscopically positive. The overall 5-year actuarial survival for patients undergoing resection was 39.2 per cent with no survival difference between those with positive and negative margins. Despite advances in diagnostic imaging, more than half of patients with CCA presenting for surgical evaluation are ultimately found to be unresectable. However, the final determination can still only be made at the time of exploration. Even in the presence of microscopic residual disease, surgical intervention results in improved survival. An aggressive stance toward surgical intervention in patients with CCA remains justified.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84857075795&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84857075795&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 22369822

AN - SCOPUS:84857075795

VL - 78

SP - 157

EP - 160

JO - American Surgeon

JF - American Surgeon

SN - 0003-1348

IS - 2

ER -