Amanitin intoxication in two beef calves in California

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

7 Scopus citations


Two 2- and 3-month-old beef calves from 2 separate herds, locations, and times were found dead and were submitted to the veterinary diagnostic laboratory for diagnostic work-up. In both cases, no premonitory signs were seen by the owners. Histopathology revealed acute panlobular hepatic necrosis in both calves. In addition, calf A had copper and selenium deficiency, and calf B had oxalate nephrosis, and selenium and zinc deficiencies. Alpha-amanitin was detected in the urine from calf A, and in the liver and rumen contents from calf B using liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry. The cause of panlobular hepatic necrosis and death of both calves was determined to be amanitin toxicosis from ingestion of amanitin-containing mushrooms based on microscopic changes and toxicological analysis of tissues. In cases of sudden death in cows with histopathological findings of panlobular hepatic necrosis, toxicological analysis for amanitin is needed for a definitive diagnosis of poisoning by amanitin-containing mushrooms.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)241-244
Number of pages4
JournalJournal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation
Issue number1
StatePublished - Jan 2012


  • Amanita phalloides
  • amanitin
  • bovine
  • hepatic necrosis
  • liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry
  • mushroom poisoning
  • mushroom toxicosis

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • veterinary(all)


Dive into the research topics of 'Amanitin intoxication in two beef calves in California'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this