Amanita mushroom poisoning: Efficacy of aggressive treatment of two dogs

John H. Tegzes, Birgit Puschner

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

17 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Amatoxins, the primary toxins found in mushrooms of the genus Amanita, are very toxic to dogs. Acute fulminant liver failure and death can occur within a few days of ingestion. By their curious nature, dogs, especially young dogs, are prone to ingest mushrooms. Early identification of suspect mushrooms, and prompt emergency measures aimed at decreasing absorption of the toxins can improve the chance of survival. Knowing the major clinical syndromes associated with Amanita mushroom toxicosis can help direct the treatment and supportive care of affected animals and improve survival rates. We describe 2 cases in dogs with confirmed ingestion of Amanita phalloides and Amanita ocreata resulting in fulminant liver failure. Death occurred in I dog despite aggressive treatment measures including hemoperfusion, while aggressive measures resulted in a favorable outcome in the other dog.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)96-99
Number of pages4
JournalVeterinary and Human Toxicology
Volume44
Issue number2
StatePublished - 2002

Fingerprint

mushroom poisoning
Mushroom Poisoning
Amanita
Liver
Agaricales
Dogs
mushrooms
Acute Liver Failure
dogs
Poisons
liver failure
Animals
Amanita phalloides
amanitins
toxins
Eating
ingestion
death
Hemoperfusion
animal care

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • veterinary(all)
  • Toxicology
  • Health, Toxicology and Mutagenesis

Cite this

Amanita mushroom poisoning : Efficacy of aggressive treatment of two dogs. / Tegzes, John H.; Puschner, Birgit.

In: Veterinary and Human Toxicology, Vol. 44, No. 2, 2002, p. 96-99.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{7e9cf078848641b9bc99e17a02be7967,
title = "Amanita mushroom poisoning: Efficacy of aggressive treatment of two dogs",
abstract = "Amatoxins, the primary toxins found in mushrooms of the genus Amanita, are very toxic to dogs. Acute fulminant liver failure and death can occur within a few days of ingestion. By their curious nature, dogs, especially young dogs, are prone to ingest mushrooms. Early identification of suspect mushrooms, and prompt emergency measures aimed at decreasing absorption of the toxins can improve the chance of survival. Knowing the major clinical syndromes associated with Amanita mushroom toxicosis can help direct the treatment and supportive care of affected animals and improve survival rates. We describe 2 cases in dogs with confirmed ingestion of Amanita phalloides and Amanita ocreata resulting in fulminant liver failure. Death occurred in I dog despite aggressive treatment measures including hemoperfusion, while aggressive measures resulted in a favorable outcome in the other dog.",
author = "Tegzes, {John H.} and Birgit Puschner",
year = "2002",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "44",
pages = "96--99",
journal = "Veterinary and Human Toxicology",
issn = "0145-6296",
publisher = "Comparative Toxicology Laboratories",
number = "2",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Amanita mushroom poisoning

T2 - Efficacy of aggressive treatment of two dogs

AU - Tegzes, John H.

AU - Puschner, Birgit

PY - 2002

Y1 - 2002

N2 - Amatoxins, the primary toxins found in mushrooms of the genus Amanita, are very toxic to dogs. Acute fulminant liver failure and death can occur within a few days of ingestion. By their curious nature, dogs, especially young dogs, are prone to ingest mushrooms. Early identification of suspect mushrooms, and prompt emergency measures aimed at decreasing absorption of the toxins can improve the chance of survival. Knowing the major clinical syndromes associated with Amanita mushroom toxicosis can help direct the treatment and supportive care of affected animals and improve survival rates. We describe 2 cases in dogs with confirmed ingestion of Amanita phalloides and Amanita ocreata resulting in fulminant liver failure. Death occurred in I dog despite aggressive treatment measures including hemoperfusion, while aggressive measures resulted in a favorable outcome in the other dog.

AB - Amatoxins, the primary toxins found in mushrooms of the genus Amanita, are very toxic to dogs. Acute fulminant liver failure and death can occur within a few days of ingestion. By their curious nature, dogs, especially young dogs, are prone to ingest mushrooms. Early identification of suspect mushrooms, and prompt emergency measures aimed at decreasing absorption of the toxins can improve the chance of survival. Knowing the major clinical syndromes associated with Amanita mushroom toxicosis can help direct the treatment and supportive care of affected animals and improve survival rates. We describe 2 cases in dogs with confirmed ingestion of Amanita phalloides and Amanita ocreata resulting in fulminant liver failure. Death occurred in I dog despite aggressive treatment measures including hemoperfusion, while aggressive measures resulted in a favorable outcome in the other dog.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0036130348&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0036130348&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 11931514

AN - SCOPUS:0036130348

VL - 44

SP - 96

EP - 99

JO - Veterinary and Human Toxicology

JF - Veterinary and Human Toxicology

SN - 0145-6296

IS - 2

ER -