Acute enteral manganese intoxication with hepatic failure due to ingestion of a joint supplement overdose

Angela Borchers, Steven E Epstein, Blaz Gindiciosi, Andrew Cartoceti, Birgit Puschner

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

4 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Manganese is a ubiquitous, essential trace element and a common ingredient of joint supplement tablets. Little information is known about the inherent toxic potential if ingested at higher doses. A 5-year-old female spayed Pug dog presented for evaluation of vomiting and ataxia after accidental ingestion of approximately 100 joint supplement tablets. The dog developed acute hepatic failure and was euthanized 6 days after presentation due to progression of the disease. Necropsy showed severe acute hepatic necrosis. Liver and kidney samples were submitted for toxicology analysis, results of which showed severely elevated manganese concentrations in the liver and kidneys.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)658-663
Number of pages6
JournalJournal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation
Volume26
Issue number5
DOIs
StatePublished - Sep 1 2014

Fingerprint

liver failure
overdose
Liver Failure
Manganese
Small Intestine
manganese
poisoning
Eating
Joints
ingestion
liver
Tablets
Liver
kidneys
Dogs
Kidney
Acute Liver Failure
dogs
Poisons
Trace Elements

Keywords

  • Dogs
  • intoxication
  • manganese

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • veterinary(all)

Cite this

Acute enteral manganese intoxication with hepatic failure due to ingestion of a joint supplement overdose. / Borchers, Angela; Epstein, Steven E; Gindiciosi, Blaz; Cartoceti, Andrew; Puschner, Birgit.

In: Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, Vol. 26, No. 5, 01.09.2014, p. 658-663.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{c791f9acc81e4609a77aed039e8b4c40,
title = "Acute enteral manganese intoxication with hepatic failure due to ingestion of a joint supplement overdose",
abstract = "Manganese is a ubiquitous, essential trace element and a common ingredient of joint supplement tablets. Little information is known about the inherent toxic potential if ingested at higher doses. A 5-year-old female spayed Pug dog presented for evaluation of vomiting and ataxia after accidental ingestion of approximately 100 joint supplement tablets. The dog developed acute hepatic failure and was euthanized 6 days after presentation due to progression of the disease. Necropsy showed severe acute hepatic necrosis. Liver and kidney samples were submitted for toxicology analysis, results of which showed severely elevated manganese concentrations in the liver and kidneys.",
keywords = "Dogs, intoxication, manganese",
author = "Angela Borchers and Epstein, {Steven E} and Blaz Gindiciosi and Andrew Cartoceti and Birgit Puschner",
year = "2014",
month = "9",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1177/1040638714544316",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "26",
pages = "658--663",
journal = "Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation",
issn = "1040-6387",
publisher = "American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians",
number = "5",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Acute enteral manganese intoxication with hepatic failure due to ingestion of a joint supplement overdose

AU - Borchers, Angela

AU - Epstein, Steven E

AU - Gindiciosi, Blaz

AU - Cartoceti, Andrew

AU - Puschner, Birgit

PY - 2014/9/1

Y1 - 2014/9/1

N2 - Manganese is a ubiquitous, essential trace element and a common ingredient of joint supplement tablets. Little information is known about the inherent toxic potential if ingested at higher doses. A 5-year-old female spayed Pug dog presented for evaluation of vomiting and ataxia after accidental ingestion of approximately 100 joint supplement tablets. The dog developed acute hepatic failure and was euthanized 6 days after presentation due to progression of the disease. Necropsy showed severe acute hepatic necrosis. Liver and kidney samples were submitted for toxicology analysis, results of which showed severely elevated manganese concentrations in the liver and kidneys.

AB - Manganese is a ubiquitous, essential trace element and a common ingredient of joint supplement tablets. Little information is known about the inherent toxic potential if ingested at higher doses. A 5-year-old female spayed Pug dog presented for evaluation of vomiting and ataxia after accidental ingestion of approximately 100 joint supplement tablets. The dog developed acute hepatic failure and was euthanized 6 days after presentation due to progression of the disease. Necropsy showed severe acute hepatic necrosis. Liver and kidney samples were submitted for toxicology analysis, results of which showed severely elevated manganese concentrations in the liver and kidneys.

KW - Dogs

KW - intoxication

KW - manganese

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84907098647&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84907098647&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1177/1040638714544316

DO - 10.1177/1040638714544316

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:84907098647

VL - 26

SP - 658

EP - 663

JO - Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation

JF - Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation

SN - 1040-6387

IS - 5

ER -